Difference between Chemical analysis and PMI

by krautkramer
Tags: analysis, chemical, difference
Share this thread:
krautkramer
Feb14-13, 03:03 AM
P: 25
Hi,

What is the technical difference between chemical analysis and PMI(Positive material identification)? Is it different name only or chemical analysis is a separate test? I found that FRF analyser (X-Ray fluorescence technique) or Optical Emission spectrometer (spark type gun with ultra pure argon gas) are used to find chemical composition of metals during PMI. XRF Analyser will not give carbon content,but spectrometer will give carbon content and other lighter elements also.So, I am with Chemical analysis term!Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules
CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
Gesture-controlled, autonomous vehicles may be valuable helpers in logistics and trans-shipment centers
Graniar
Feb14-13, 10:11 AM
P: 71
PMI methods you listed above gives you fast info about quantities of elements sample contains.
Chemical analysis, which is more complex, meant for compounds analysis.

IE PMI is good for alloys analysis, but meaningless for checking sugar contents in the blood.
krautkramer
Feb14-13, 10:44 AM
P: 25
Thnks graniar for the reply.I was little bit confused with these two terms as PMI is the common term used by industry people.I did a bit research in the internet and found from Exova website that,Atomic Absorption, XRF, EDS, OES, GDS, wet chemistry are Metal's chemical analysis techniques. But,I have no idea about atomic absorption, EDS,GDS and wet chemistry and where these technique are being used.

http://www.exova.com/industry-sector...mical-analysis

Register to reply