Determine moment of Inertia from resistance

by barvas11
Tags: determine, inertia, moment, resistance
Share this thread:
barvas11
Feb11-13, 05:58 PM
P: 32
Hi Guys,
I am trying to calculate a starting torque required to move the drum at 6rpm that weights 2000kg and has 1200mm in diameter.

There would be no problem to do this calc in normal circumstances as I can find a moment of inertia formula for a pipe in my book.

But in this case there is a tension of 3000N acting on the rim of my drum.

What will be the formula for the moment of inertia in this case?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
ESA investigates an alternative, environmental-friendly method of corrosion resistance
The oscillator that could makeover the mechanical watch
Engineers study bats to improve aviation travel
SteamKing
Feb11-13, 06:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,754
The moment of inertia of the drum is not affected by the tension. However, overcoming this tension will figure significantly in the torque required to spin the drum.

What is this tension? Is it friction?
barvas11
Feb12-13, 02:23 AM
Hi,
No it's a wire injected in the steel coil tube and I am trying to take it out. I am currently building a special machine for it and need to select the right type of motor. I was thinking of powering the drum with light duty bonfiglioli gear box housed from one side of the drum or having a sprocket arrangement with the ratio 6:1. Sprockets would significantly drive down the torque but the gearbox would suit much better for this arrangement.

Yes that's right the tension will increase the torque value significatly but I don't know by how much.

SteamKing
Feb12-13, 12:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Determine moment of Inertia from resistance

Well, as a first guess, I would say 3000N times the radius of the drum.
barvas11
Feb15-13, 05:35 AM
Thanks,
Have you got any idea how to incorporate a sprocket ratio into my torque calc?

Diameter of the wheel that moves the drum has 38mm and drum has a diameter of 1200mm

I incorporated the ratio into my moment of inertia of the drum.

So the formula would be the following: I=Id*(38/1200)^2

Id is the moment of inertia of the drum

What do you think of that?

Thanks for your thoughts
SteamKing
Feb15-13, 09:40 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
The inertia of the drum is a physical property of the mass of the drum and how that mass is distributed about the axis of rotation.
barvas11
Feb15-13, 11:03 AM
It is but how does my pulley ratio affect that property?
SteamKing
Feb15-13, 12:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
That's what I am trying to say: the inertia property is NOT affected by pulley ratios. The torque required to turn the drum will be affected by the pulley ratio, but not the inertia.

Register to reply