Gaussian Integral Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with evaluating an integral using a substitution. The proposed substitution is correct, but the limits of integration are incorrect. The correct limits should be written as the integral from -1 to -∞ plus the integral from +∞ to 1. The person asking the question initially did not think about the range of integration, but after clarification, they understood the issue.
pcvrx560
If I had an integral

[tex] \int_{-1}^{1}e^{x}dx [/tex]

Then performing the substitution [itex] x=\frac{1}{t} [/itex] would give me

[tex] \int_{-1}^{1}-e^\frac{1}{t}t^{-2}dt [/tex]

Which can't be right because the number in the integral is always negative. Is this substitution not correct?

Sorry if I am being very thick but I can't figure out why I can't evaluate this simple integral with this change of variables.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi pcvrx560! :smile:
pcvrx560 said:
… Is this substitution not correct?

the substitution is fine, but the limits are wrong …

as x goes up from -1 to 1,

t (= 1/x) goes down from -1 to -∞, and then from +∞ down to 1 …

you'ld need to write ##\int_{-1}^{-\infty} + \int_{\infty}^{1}## :wink:

(or ##-\int^{-1}_{-\infty} - \int^{\infty}_{1}##)​

Isn't the integral of e^x w.r.t. x simply e^x + C?

Thanks, tiny-tim! That cleared it up for me.

I didn't think about the range I was integrating over, I was just mindlessly plugging numbers into 1/t.

1. What is Gaussian Integral Substitution?

Gaussian Integral Substitution is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals of the form ∫f(x)e^(-x^2)dx. It involves substituting x = √t or x = 1/t into the integral and then solving it algebraically.

2. Why is Gaussian Integral Substitution useful?

Gaussian Integral Substitution is useful because it allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It is especially helpful in physics and engineering applications, as many physical systems can be described using Gaussian functions.

3. How do you perform Gaussian Integral Substitution?

To perform Gaussian Integral Substitution, first identify the function f(x) in the integral. Then, substitute x = √t or x = 1/t into the integral. This will result in a new integral that can be solved using algebraic techniques. Finally, substitute back in the original variable x to get the final answer.

4. What are some common mistakes when using Gaussian Integral Substitution?

One common mistake when using Gaussian Integral Substitution is forgetting to substitute back in the original variable x after solving the new integral. Another mistake is not properly simplifying the integral before performing the substitution, which can lead to incorrect results.

5. Can Gaussian Integral Substitution be used for all integrals?

No, Gaussian Integral Substitution is only useful for integrals of the form ∫f(x)e^(-x^2)dx. It cannot be used for other types of integrals, such as trigonometric or logarithmic integrals. It is important to carefully examine the integrand before attempting to use Gaussian Integral Substitution.