Register to reply

Thorium Fuel Cycle Reaction Initiation

Share this thread:
DLHill
Feb15-13, 09:44 PM
P: 32
In an liquid fluoride thorium reactor, how is the reaction started? My assumption would be a piece of fissile material would be somehow inserted into the fuel to introduce neutrons to the solution, but I have not found any information to show if this is how the reaction is started. If this is not it, how do the reactors begin breeding and fissioning the U 233?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Astronuc
Feb16-13, 06:34 PM
Admin
P: 21,806
Quote Quote by DLHill View Post
In an liquid fluoride thorium reactor, how is the reaction started? My assumption would be a piece of fissile material would be somehow inserted into the fuel to introduce neutrons to the solution, but I have not found any information to show if this is how the reaction is started. If this is not it, how do the reactors begin breeding and fissioning the U 233?
An LFTR would start with U-235 with U-233 increasing as it is produced in the system. U-233 would be chemically separated from the recirculating solution. Likely there would be 'neutron sources' placed in the reactor system.

One can look at the operation of the MSR at ORNL.
QuantumPion
Feb18-13, 11:29 AM
P: 765
The liquid fuel becomes critical as it flows through graphite moderator channels, sort of like an RBMK.

Register to reply