Plotting functions and coordinates, Mathematica

by freefaller
Tags: coordinates, functions, mathematica, plotting
Share this thread:
freefaller
Feb19-13, 05:05 PM
P: 10
Hi all.

Is there a way to plot both functions and coordinates/points on the same graph in Mathematica? The various functions for plotting each seem very incompatible. I would like to compare a probability function to Monte-Carlo-method simulation results.

Also, out of curiosity, do different programming languages have "better" pseudo-random number generation techniques or does it not really make a difference?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Bill Simpson
Feb19-13, 11:42 PM
P: 1,037
data = Table[{x, x^2}, {x, 0, 2}];
Show[
Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 2}],
ListPlot[data],
Graphics[Text["(1,1)", {1, 1}, {-1, 0}]]
]

will show a graph, points and a coordinate.
If you need to you can change point size, color, background, dashing and a thousand other visual effects.

There are expensive hardware random number generators you can buy.

I've wanted someone to think of a cheap hardware hack that would generate a few random bits a second from the radioactive decay of a smoke detector, but I haven't found anyone interested in doing that.
freefaller
Feb20-13, 06:55 PM
P: 10
Thanks Bill! It works nicely.

I'm self-taught so I ignored Show[]'s existence. Now I know.

That's an interesting hack, although I guess for most purposes computer-generated numbers work fine ... and are simpler to obtain.

Thanks again

Register to reply