How can I expose myself to more physics?

• Thread starter ebprettyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, as a high school student interested in studying physics, there are various ways to expose yourself to different branches of physics and deepen your knowledge of the subject. These include browsing university lectures and websites, reading introductory textbooks and advanced books like the Feynman Lectures, exploring a physics topic for a science fair project, joining or initiating a science club, and staying updated on current physics findings through magazines and journals. Additionally, you can consider taking courses or enrichment programs at state or urban colleges, and utilizing online resources to supplement your learning.
ebprettyman
I am a junior in High School. I am taking honors physics this year, and am signed up to take AP Physics next year (non-calculus is the only version of AP Physics offered at my school, but I am also taking AP Calculus) Physics has been my favorite class all year, and I have begun to think of it as a possibility for a major. I understand that I do not need to choose my major for another couple of years, but I would like to just have an idea as I go through my college search so that wherever I go has a program that I know I will be interested in, such as physics. So here's my question...

How can I expose myself to more physics as a high school student?

I am interested in most field of physics, especially particle and astrophysics, but I don't know how I can satisfy my curiosity and my quest for more knowledge in the topic. Very simply, I can not wait to learn more. I would also like to learn more about more specific branches of chemistry, as the classes that I am taking both now and next year are mostly classical physics dealing with Newtonian laws, with AP Physics being the equivalent of an introductory college class. I have looked at my local community college for summer classes, but they only offer remedial physics, which I definitely do not need, and summer programs at other colleges, which either do not offer physics, or I have a conflict with (I have not researched every college program, but I have looked into many, so if anybody knows any different ones, that would be great) because I can not take any classes in August unless they are possibly online due to a family commitment.

My hope is that somebody who reads this thread will be able to advise me in some way as to how I may expose myself to different branches of physics as a high school student, so that I can nurture my love for the subject that pretty much everybody in this forum has. Thank you for reading this and hopefully responding, sorry it's so long!

Physics news on Phys.org
Past Newtonian mechanics, I suggest reading up on introductory electromagnetism, which is in most AP textbooks (Walker and Young are common ones), after that you can't go wrong with the Feynman Lectures. Instead of community colleges, I suggest looking at the state colleges and urban colleges in your area, as they often have courses and enrichment for high school students.

Explore a physics topic for a science fair project. Join (or initiate) a science club/team at your school. Learn about current physics findings from magazines and journals (Physics Today, Scientific American, American Scientist, etc.).

If you know calculus, you can't go wrong with owning one of the large introductory college physics books such as Giancoli or Halliday/Resnick. These books contain a huge amount of chapters which mainly cover Newtonian mechanics, E&M, fluid mechanics/thermodynamics and modern physics. Plus you'll get a head-start since you'll most likely be using these books (or similar ones) for your first few physics classes at college.

I am excited to hear about your passion for physics and your desire to continue learning more about the subject. Here are a few suggestions for how you can expose yourself to more physics as a high school student:

1. Participate in extracurricular activities related to physics: Many high schools offer clubs or organizations focused on science and physics. Consider joining one of these groups to further explore your interests and possibly even participate in competitions or hands-on experiments.

2. Attend physics-related events or lectures: Look for local events or lectures at colleges or universities that are open to the public. This can be a great way to learn about new research and meet other people who share your interest in physics.

3. Take online courses or watch lectures: There are many online resources, such as Khan Academy, that offer free courses and lectures on various topics in physics. This can be a convenient and accessible way to learn more about different branches of the subject.

4. Read books and articles on physics: There are countless books and articles written about physics, from popular science books to academic journals. Explore different areas of physics by reading about them and expanding your knowledge.

5. Reach out to professors or researchers: If there is a specific area of physics that interests you, consider reaching out to professors or researchers at local colleges or universities. They may be willing to meet with you to discuss their work and give you further insights into the field.

Remember, it's never too early to start exploring different areas of physics and developing a deeper understanding of the subject. Keep your curiosity and passion for learning alive, and you will continue to expose yourself to more physics throughout your academic journey. Best of luck!

1. How can I get started with learning more about physics?

The best way to get started with physics is to first gain a strong foundation in mathematics, as it is the language of physics. Once you have a good understanding of algebra, geometry, and calculus, you can begin studying introductory physics concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Where can I find resources for learning more about physics?

There are many resources available for learning more about physics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. You can also visit your local library or university to access academic resources and attend lectures or workshops.

3. How can I apply what I learn in physics to real-world situations?

Physics is a fundamental science that is applicable to many fields, including engineering, medicine, and technology. By understanding the principles of physics, you can make informed decisions and solve problems in your everyday life.

4. What are some ways to engage with the physics community?

There are several ways to engage with the physics community, such as attending conferences, participating in online forums and discussions, and joining local physics clubs or organizations. These opportunities can also provide networking opportunities and access to new resources.

5. How can I continue to challenge myself and deepen my understanding of physics?

To continue challenging yourself and expanding your knowledge of physics, you can take advanced courses, read research papers, and engage in independent studies or projects. You can also seek out mentorship opportunities with experienced physicists or participate in research programs.