Exploring Strange Vector Spaces: Unusual Examples and Constructions

In summary, the conversation discusses some interesting and exotic vector spaces, such as defining a vector space over the field of real numbers as 1-tuples with vector addition as field multiplication and scalar multiplication as field exponentiation. Another example is R over Q, which is infinite dimensional and can be thought of as a set of functions. The conversation also mentions the concept of a Hamel basis and the use of linear algebra in developing the theory of field extensions.
johnqwertyful
What are some of the strangest vector spaces you know? I don't know many, but I like defining V over R as 1 tuples. Defining vector addition as field multiplication and scalar multiplication as field exponentiation. That one's always cool. Have any cool vector spaces? Maybe ones not over R but over maybe more exotic fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
R over Q is infinite dimensional. That's kinda cool I guess :p.

WannabeNewton said:

Never thought of that, but that's true. That's awesome.

I also liked it when I realized that some sets functions are a vector space and you can basically think of them as n-tuples (for [itex]n = 2^{\aleph_0}[/itex]). Was the first time I saw that vector spaces don't need to consist of actual points in [itex]\mathbb{R}^k[/itex].

WannabeNewton said:
Even cooler is trying to visualize the basis (i.e., the Hamel basis, which exists if and only if you allow the axiom of choice).

In general, I thought it was really cool when starting to learn about field extensions, the epiphany that we can view the larger field as a vector space over the smaller one, and now we can bring in all the machinery of linear algebra to develop the theory. That was a great "ah HA!" moment.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that is made up of a set of vectors and a set of operations, such as addition and scalar multiplication, that can be performed on those vectors. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to model a wide range of physical and abstract systems.

What makes a vector space "strange"?

A strange vector space is one that does not have the properties of a traditional vector space. This could include having non-unique solutions, non-commutative operations, or non-linear transformations. These spaces can be more complex and challenging to work with compared to traditional vector spaces.

What are some examples of strange vector spaces?

Examples of strange vector spaces include Hilbert spaces, which are infinite-dimensional and have non-linear transformations, and Banach spaces, which have non-unique solutions. Other examples include non-associative algebras and non-commutative rings.

What are the applications of strange vector spaces?

Strange vector spaces have applications in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of non-linear systems and chaotic behavior, as well as in quantum mechanics and functional analysis. They are also used in computer science for data compression and signal processing.

How are strange vector spaces studied and analyzed?

The study of strange vector spaces involves advanced mathematical techniques, such as abstract algebra, functional analysis, and topology. These spaces are often analyzed using mathematical models and simulations, as well as through experiments and observations in the relevant fields of study.