Register to reply

Surface Area of a Sphere without double integral

by cwbullivant
Tags: double, integral, sphere, surface
Share this thread:
cwbullivant
Feb20-13, 06:21 PM
P: 38
Is it possible to come up with a derivation of the surface area of a sphere without using a double integral? Most of the ones I've found seem to involve double integrals;

For example, this was given as the "simplest" explanation in a thread from 2005:

[tex]S=\iint dS=R^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\varphi \int_{0}^{\pi} d\vartheta \ \sin\vartheta[/tex]

I was thinking about using shell integration for it, but as I recall, shell integration and solids of revolution deal only in volumes, not surface areas (This was by far my weakest area of Calc II, FWIW).

I'm going to be doing double integrals fairly soon, but I wanted to know if there was a more simplistic method so I wouldn't have to wait until then.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Vorde
Feb20-13, 07:30 PM
P: 784
You can do surface areas in single variable calculus, but they are just as ugly as they are in multivariable. The reason is that instead of using dx you have to use ds where ds = arc length = ##\sqrt{1+ (\frac{dy}{dx})^2} dx##

The general formula for surface area is ##SA = \int 2 \pi y ds##. So a formula for surface area of a unit sphere would be ##\int_{-1}^{1}{2 \pi y \sqrt{1+ (\frac{dy}{dx})^2}} dx## where y is the half circle of radius 1.
SteamKing
Feb21-13, 12:37 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,755
You might try the First Theorem of Pappus applied to a semi-circular arc.

Vorde
Feb21-13, 12:47 AM
P: 784
Surface Area of a Sphere without double integral

Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
You might try the First Theorem of Pappus applied to a semi-circular arc.
Wow, that's a super cool theorem. Never knew about that.
Vargo
Feb21-13, 03:29 PM
P: 350
Pappus' theorem is a cool way.

Another way goes like this. For a sphere, let V(r) be the volume, and S(r) be surface area (as a function of radius).

Then V(r) = V(1)r^3 and V'(r) = S(r). Therefore, S(r) = 3V(1)r^2.

So if you can calculate the volume of a sphere (via the method of disks for example), then you can get the surface area this way.

Register to reply