Register to reply

Amplitude in a simple pendulum - angle or distance?

Share this thread:
shmurr
Feb23-13, 12:36 AM
P: 8
Is amplitude in a simple pendulum measured as an angle, theta, or as a distance? If it is an angle, is it in radians or degrees. Also, what is the equation?

How does amplitude relate to x=Acos(ωt)?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
SammyS
Feb23-13, 01:05 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,796
Quote Quote by shmurr View Post
Is amplitude in a simple pendulum measured as an angle, theta, or as a distance? If it is an angle, is it in radians or degrees. Also, what is the equation?

How does amplitude relate to x=Acos(ωt)?
Hello shmurr. Welcome to PF !

For a true pendulum, the amplitude can be expressed as an angle and/or a distance.

Every angle can be expressed in degrees, also in radians.

Regarding your equation, [itex]\displaystyle \ x=A\cos(\omega t)\,,\ [/itex] it's customary for A (the amplitude) to be a distance, although it can just as well be an angle. The quantity, ω is usually radians per second, and t is in seconds, as a time, making ωt a quantity in radians.

Added in Edit:

The amplitude, A, in your equation, will always be in the same units as is the variable, x. Since the variable , x, usually represents a distance, the amplitude, A, (usually) also represents a distance.
shmurr
Feb23-13, 01:24 AM
I asked regarding this question:

Length of pendulum = 0.760 meters
Mass of bob = 0.365 kg
Released at an angle = 12 degrees
Assume SHM

What is the maximum velocity?

My Approach:

maximum v = ωA
= [(g/L)^0.5]*A

What value of A would I put in?

SammyS
Feb23-13, 01:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,796
Amplitude in a simple pendulum - angle or distance?

Quote Quote by shmurr View Post
I asked regarding this question:

Length of pendulum = 0.760 meters
Mass of bob = 0.365 kg
Released at an angle = 12 degrees
Assume SHM

What is the maximum velocity?

My Approach:

maximum v = ωA
= [(g/L)^0.5]*A

What value of A would I put in?
From the length of the pendulum and from the release angle (assuming zero velocity at release) you need to calculate the amplitude, A .
shmurr
Feb23-13, 01:48 AM
Ok that makes sense, Thanks so much SammyS... :)
voko
Feb23-13, 02:16 AM
Thanks
P: 5,663
You could solve this using conservation of energy. Try it.
shmurr
Feb23-13, 03:17 AM
Well funny thing is that I tried 3 different ways and each got me a different answer :/

Is Amplitude = Length * (θ^2) a valid equation?

It seems like a random one the teacher threw at us without any derivation. So I'm not exactly sure how to convert θ of amplitude into distance. Any tips?

Also, just confirming that the amplitude is the horizontal distance from the maximum points of the bob, right?

And thanks voko, I personally like to use conservation of energy as it makes a lot more sense. And the answer made sense.
voko
Feb23-13, 03:47 AM
Thanks
P: 5,663
The amplitude of an oscillation is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. Sketch the equilibrium position and the maximum displacement position. You will get a certain right triangle. Find the displacement from this.
shmurr
Feb23-13, 06:40 AM
Thank you voko, finally got two formulae to give the same answer. Used energy and amplitude method.

Register to reply