sigs and readability

by DaveC426913
Tags: readability, sigs
DaveC426913
Mar22-05, 06:20 PM
P: 15,325
They used to be "sig lines", now they're "sig life stories"...

There's a lot to read in PF. A lot of forums, a lot of topics, a lot of threads, a lot of contributions, and a lot that's said.

I can't imagine why users feel that they need to add textual pollution to this by having giant 10-line sigs - especially knowing they repeat in EVERY message they post, but I suppose that, as long as there is no limit on size, people will max them out.

But how about this as a compromise: how about PF sets the sig text off in a different typeface/colour/size/whatever? That way, when busy users are scanning for real content can, at a glance recognize what's useful and what's broken record material?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Doc Al
Mar22-05, 06:30 PM
Mentor
P: 40,905
I feel the same way about some of the giant sigs I've seen. But I hope you realize that you don't have to see them if you don't want to: You can set your options in the control panel to not show sigs. (It would be nice if folks kept them short and sweet, though.)
Evo
Mar22-05, 07:17 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
I had once read that people were not allowed to have more than 4 lines in a signature, but I haven't seen anything else about it since.

I enjoy reading some of the signatures, but when your signature exceeds the length of your post, it's pretty bad.

Monique
Mar23-05, 06:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,622

sigs and readability

It is written in the PF guidelines http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374
Member signatures may not be longer than four lines.
You can report members using buttons like this . I think we need to change the signature box code so that no more than 4 lines can be entered.. chroot?
Moonbear
Mar23-05, 08:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Quote Quote by Monique
It is written in the PF guidelines http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374
You can report members using buttons like this . I think we need to change the signature box code so that no more than 4 lines can be entered.. chroot?
Okay, I guess I better go shorten mine a bit. I can't decide which quotes to drop! Since there was a long time between when I signed up here and became a contributor, by the time I finally got a chance to include a signature, I definitely didn't remember reading any rules about length limits. So, I agree, changing the code box to limit the length would be much more effective. (Though, as you can see, I've fully embraced using color to set off the signature).
DaveC426913
Mar23-05, 08:49 AM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by Doc Al
But I hope you realize that you don't have to see them if you don't want to: You can set your options in the control panel to not show sigs.
...oh... eheh
Phobos
Mar23-05, 09:07 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,018
Quote Quote by Doc Al
It would be nice if folks kept them short and sweet, though.
Amen to that.
dextercioby
Mar23-05, 12:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,866
And in English... (voir marlon)...

Daniel.
juvenal
Mar23-05, 01:51 PM
P: 383
Another board that I have frequented in the past allows you to turn off viewing sigs and avatars, and also has an ignore list.
dextercioby
Mar23-05, 01:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,866
This 1 can do it,too...

Daniel.
marlon
Mar23-05, 06:00 PM
P: 4,008
Quote Quote by dextercioby
And in English... (voir marlon)...

Daniel.

'voir marlon' : err, tu voulais t'exprimer en franšais ici ?

marlon
juvenal
Mar24-05, 03:03 AM
P: 383
Quote Quote by dextercioby
This 1 can do it,too...

Daniel.
You're right - I should have looked. (And read the second message in this thread more carefully).

Register to reply