Proving If f(x)>0 for All x: A Guide for Dogma

• Thread starter dogma
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about proving a limit theorem for a function that is always positive. The method of proof is through contradiction, by assuming the limit is less than zero and finding a suitable epsilon value to show that the function is negative for at least one x value. The conversation ends with the question of what happens when epsilon is equal to A.
dogma
Hi all.

I'm doing some self studying on limits, and...I have the following problem with this problem...

Prove: If [tex]f(x)>0[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex], then [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_o} f(x)\geq 0[/tex] for any [tex]x_o[/tex]

I'm assuming the best way to prove this is through contradiction:

Assume [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_o} f(x) = A < 0[/tex]

This as far I get before vapor lock sets in. I guess I need to find an appropriate [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and then try to show/not show that [tex]f(x) < 0[/tex] for at least one [tex]x[/tex].

Can someone please point me on the right direction?

Thanks,
dogma

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_o} f(x) = - A[/tex] means: for all [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] there exist a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that [tex]f( \left]x_0 - \delta, x_0 + \delta \right[) \subset \left]-A-\epsilon, -A+\epsilon \right[ [/tex]. So in particular what do we get for [tex]\epsilon = A[/tex]?

Hi dogma,

To prove this statement, we can use the definition of a limit. According to the definition of a limit, if \lim_{x\rightarrow x_o} f(x) = A, then for any \epsilon > 0, there exists a \delta > 0 such that for all x satisfying 0 < |x - x_o| < \delta, we have |f(x) - A| < \epsilon.

Now, since we are assuming that \lim_{x\rightarrow x_o} f(x) = A < 0, we can choose \epsilon = -A. Then, by the definition of a limit, there exists a \delta > 0 such that for all x satisfying 0 < |x - x_o| < \delta, we have |f(x) - A| < -A. This can be rewritten as -A < f(x) - A < A, which simplifies to 0 < f(x) < 2A.

But since we know that f(x) > 0 for all x, this implies that 0 < f(x) < 2A < 0, which is a contradiction. Thus, our assumption that \lim_{x\rightarrow x_o} f(x) = A < 0 must be false, and therefore \lim_{x\rightarrow x_o} f(x) \geq 0.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Keep up the good work with your self-studying on limits!

1. What is the purpose of proving if f(x)>0 for all x?

The purpose of proving if f(x)>0 for all x is to ensure that the function is always positive, regardless of the input value. This is important in many mathematical and scientific applications, as it guarantees that the function will not have any negative or zero values that could potentially lead to incorrect results.

2. How can we prove that f(x)>0 for all x?

There are several methods for proving that f(x)>0 for all x. One common approach is to use mathematical induction, where we prove the statement for a base case and then show that it holds true for all subsequent cases. Another method is to use contradiction, where we assume that there exists an x value for which f(x) is not greater than 0 and then show that this leads to a contradiction.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving f(x)>0 for all x?

One common mistake is assuming that the function is always positive based on a small sample of data or a few specific values. This is not sufficient evidence to prove the statement for all possible values of x. Another mistake is using circular reasoning, where the statement being proved is used as a premise in the proof.

4. Why is it important to consider all possible values of x when proving f(x)>0 for all x?

In order to prove that f(x)>0 for all x, we must consider all possible values of x. This is because even if we can show that the statement is true for a large number of values, there may still be some values for which it is not true. By considering all possible values, we can ensure that the statement holds true for all cases.

5. How does proving f(x)>0 for all x relate to the concept of dogma in science?

Proving f(x)>0 for all x relates to the concept of dogma in science because it highlights the importance of questioning and testing our beliefs and assumptions. By proving this statement, we are challenging the dogma that a function will always have positive values. This serves as a reminder to approach scientific claims with skepticism and to constantly seek evidence and proof to support our theories and beliefs.