Can Pi be Used as a Random Number Generator for Proving Normality?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of normal numbers and their relation to irrational numbers. A normal number is one where every digit has an equal probability of appearing in a group of 10 digits. While PI is believed to be normal, it is difficult to prove that any given number is normal. However, it is believed that almost all real numbers are normal, although the set of non-normal numbers is still uncountable.
waht
Just wondering, if you group decimal places of an irrational number, let's say into sequences of groups of 10, for example,

if k is irrational 4.4252352352,3546262626,224332 (I made that up)

they you group (.4252352352) (3546262626) (and so on)

then my question is that the probability of any number between 0-9 appearing the group is simply 1/10 or .1

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on the number, the property you describe is called Normal. If an irrational number is normal then it meets your condition. I do not know how common the property is. Nor am I familiar with how it is proven. I have heard that PI may be normal.

First, the number you wrote is not irrational! :)

With regard to the probability of any particular digit appearing in any group of 10, that assumes the digits are "random" which I don't believe you would be able to prove. Moreover, here's an example of an irrational number for which the probability of any of the digits 2..9 appearing is zero:

k = 0.101001000100001 ...

with the obvious pattern of digits. Also, the probabilities of finding zeros and ones are not equal.

pi is believed to be normal. You might want to try a google search for using pi as a random number generator.

Proving any given number is normal is pretty rarely done (if ever?). I think most of the examples are "made", like 0.12345678910111213141516... and a similar thing with the primes 0.2357111317..., that is to say people set out to write down a normal number rather than prove a number we were previously interested in (like pi) was normal.

However, almost all (in the measure theory sense) real numbers are normal. This is how normal numbers were shown to exist in the first place. (you can do a similar thing to show irrationals exist without ever exhibiting one by showing the reals are uncountable). The set of non-normal numbers is still uncountable though.

What Are Irrational Numbers?

Irrational numbers are real numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They are non-terminating and non-repeating decimals and cannot be written as fractions.

What Are Some Examples of Irrational Numbers?

Some examples of irrational numbers include pi (3.141592...), the square root of 2 (√2), and Euler's number (e = 2.718281...).

How Are Irrational Numbers Different from Rational Numbers?

Irrational numbers and rational numbers are both real numbers, but irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers while rational numbers can.

Why Are Irrational Numbers Important?

Irrational numbers are important in mathematics and science as they are used to represent quantities that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. They also have applications in geometry, physics, and engineering.

How Do You Prove That a Number is Irrational?

To prove that a number is irrational, you can use the proof by contradiction method. Assume that the number can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This proves that the number cannot be rational, and therefore, must be irrational.