Register to reply

Tricky Optimization Problem

by maseratigt89
Tags: optimization, tricky
Share this thread:
maseratigt89
Nov20-05, 09:32 PM
P: 3
can someone PLEASE help me wit this problem? i will be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL. THANK YOU!!.

A light is suspended at a height "h" above the floor. The illumination at the point P is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point P to the light ("r") and directly proportional to the cosine of the angle theta. How far from the floor should the light be to maximize the illumination at the point P?

light
|\ o=theta
|o \
| \
h| \ r
| \
| \
|__10M__\
floor P
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
maseratigt89
Nov20-05, 09:34 PM
light
|\ o=theta
|o \
| \
h | \ r
| \
| \
|__10M__\
floor P
maseratigt89
Nov20-05, 09:36 PM
thats supposed to be a triangle by the way. sry.

HallsofIvy
Nov21-05, 06:46 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,310
Tricky Optimization Problem

I assume that theta is set so that the light is shining directly at point p.

Okay, let "h" be the height of the light- which is, after all, what you want to find. Use the Pythagorean theorem to determine r, the straight line distance from the light to P, in terms of h. Use that, together with the definition of cosine, to find cos(theta) in terms of h. Since " The illumination at the point P is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point P to the light ("r") and directly proportional to the cosine of the angle theta" you can now write a formula for illumination entirely in terms of h. Differentiate that with respect to h and set equal to 0.

Register to reply