What's your biggest mistake?

by rachmaninoff
Tags: biggest, mistake
Share this thread:
rachmaninoff
Dec9-05, 08:48 PM
P: n/a
You've got to feel sorry for this guy:

TOKYO - Japan's government rebuked the Tokyo Stock Exchange and one of the country's biggest brokerage firms Friday after a typing error caused Mizuho Securities Co. to lose at least 27 billion yen ($225 million) on a stock trade.
The trouble began Thursday morning, when a trader at Mizuho Securities tried to sell 610,000 shares at 1 yen (less than a penny) apiece in a job recruiting company called J-Com Co., which was having its public debut on the exchange. It had intended to sell 1 share at 610,000 yen ($5,041).
By the end of the day, Mizuho Securities — a division of the nation's second-largest bank, Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. — had lost at least 27 billion yen. That total could rise, however, Mizuho Securities spokesman Hideki Sakuma said Friday, adding that the mishap was sparked by human error.
link
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
JasonRox
Dec9-05, 09:37 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Can I Say Fired!... Or Shot!
Moonbear
Dec9-05, 10:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by JasonRox
Can I Say Fired!... Or Shot!
I wouldn't be surprised if the guy jumped off a bridge on the way home. What a mistake! I feel sorry for the guy. Though, for all those folks who ask why does it matter if they make a typo here or there, we now have a cautionary tale to share.

cronxeh
Dec9-05, 10:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
What's your biggest mistake?

Thats hilarious
scott1
Dec10-05, 12:44 AM
P: 459
Maybe it wasn't a mistake.He might of been working for that trader that might of been trying millons of dollars by hireing that guy to make that small typo so that he can make millons dollars and give half of it to him in return.So that way everone will think it's just be a mistake and have everone be too busy laughing at him then invastging this multi-millon dollar crime*

*Note : this conirpacy was only made to make that guy look better(I whould choose commating multi-millon dollar crime then getting a liftime of embarsment).
Jonny_trigonometry
Dec10-05, 01:07 AM
P: 533
my biggest mistake? hmm.. well thats got to be supplementing drugs for a woman in my life for the past 4 years since my last girlfriend. I got more and more depressed and unconfident, and kept deluding myself with wild drug use that whole time. I've spent this year recovering, trying to gain back a sense of comfortability with being me and i've been gaining confidence. I've turned things around this year, I stopped doing most of the drugs (i drink occasionally, smoke pot about once a month but thats it), I got accepted at the institute of technology in upper division, and I'm persuing a physics degree w/emphesis in Aeronautical eng. with a math minor! It's sad I know, and hard to admit... but oh well, there it is. Can anyone top that?
___
Dec10-05, 04:11 AM
P: 61
god why is this world so wrong?
you are there with some happiness and sadness mixed (i guess gods too feel sad) , and that guy there is thinking of how each secod of his life is going to pass; killing him every moment he is alive....and i know he thinks of you, your happiness...and looks into his reflection of the puddle of tears he just made...
o god...
Pengwuino
Dec10-05, 04:18 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
My biggest mistake... well if you must know, one day i accidently lost $225,000,000 for my employer... yah everyone went nuts and it was in the paper and everything.
Anttech
Dec10-05, 05:05 AM
P: 1,401
$225,000,000
??????????

You kept your job? didnt go to jail?
hypatia
Dec10-05, 05:20 AM
P: 1,298
I once sold a bookfor 25 dollars only to find out the next day it was worth well over 600 dollars.
___
Dec10-05, 05:41 AM
P: 61
my biggest mistake:
i was in a gang fight, had an iron rod after seeing that my team had won (we were 8 guys and they were more than 16), i put my iron rod on the ground and smiled, but out of nowhere a guy form the enemy's line ran and up picked it up and hit me right in the face with it (i guess he choose me because i was closest one to the iron rod and if he had gone to hit someone else i would have knocked him down). i still have a scar on my nose and somewhere between my temple and eye socket's bone. thank god my eye is ok.
Anttech
Dec10-05, 05:54 AM
P: 1,401
My Biggest Mistake?:

"Never look back in anger" I dont regret anything
Entropy
Dec10-05, 06:07 AM
P: 609
Being born.
FredGarvin
Dec10-05, 07:03 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
I have one word for that guy....seppuku.
Danger
Dec10-05, 03:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by FredGarvin
I have one word for that guy....seppuku.
It's pretty good with soy sauce, but what the hell has it got to do with this?
nazgjunk
Dec10-05, 03:25 PM
P: 83
My biggest mistake? erm...

erm..., thats a hard one. Quite a lot to choose from.

I guess I just haven't lived long enough to get something that stupid. Or maybe I'm just perfect.
zanazzi78
Dec11-05, 07:54 AM
P: 110
Quote Quote by Jonny_trigonometry
my biggest mistake? hmm.. well thats got to be supplementing drugs for a woman in my life for the past 4 years since my last girlfriend. I got more and more depressed and unconfident, and kept deluding myself with wild drug use that whole time. I've spent this year recovering, trying to gain back a sense of comfortability with being me and i've been gaining confidence. I've turned things around this year, I stopped doing most of the drugs (i drink occasionally, smoke pot about once a month but thats it), I got accepted at the institute of technology in upper division, and I'm persuing a physics degree w/emphesis in Aeronautical eng. with a math minor! It's sad I know, and hard to admit... but oh well, there it is. Can anyone top that?
Ditto, that my story too.

Only the time scales differ and the trigger. 6 years of abuse, and to date 2.5 years recovery. Still drink don`t take any drugs. Doing a physics degree focused on cosmology and particle physics.

Glade to know that i`m not the only person here who`s screwed up big time in the past with narcotics.

Good luck with your degree and sorting your life out.
big man
Dec11-05, 09:29 AM
P: 254
Quote Quote by ___
my biggest mistake:
i was in a gang fight, had an iron rod after seeing that my team had won (we were 8 guys and they were more than 16), i put my iron rod on the ground and smiled, but out of nowhere a guy form the enemy's line ran and up picked it up and hit me right in the face with it (i guess he choose me because i was closest one to the iron rod and if he had gone to hit someone else i would have knocked him down). i still have a scar on my nose and somewhere between my temple and eye socket's bone. thank god my eye is ok.
If that's actually true and you do that sort of stuff then you are just one sad person who deserved it, but then again you could be joking?

Register to reply