Register to reply

[Suggestion] PF Awards, are they unfair?

by Kalouste
Tags: awards, suggestion, unfair
Share this thread:
Lisa!
Dec16-05, 01:37 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
Quote Quote by Integral
Come on guys, its just all good fun... Do you really think Danger is the funniest guy on the site?
He really looks funny with his new ribbon!
TheStatutoryApe
Dec19-05, 09:57 PM
P: 1,550
I'd really have to agree that discussing this in such depth is kind of silly.
Personally, as was mention in the other thread by someone else, I just voted with out clicking the little link that shows the poll results and before I read any of the comments.
Fairness isn't exactly an issue since this is all just for fun. No one is rigging the process and I doubt many people if anyone are using multiple user names.
cscott
Dec24-05, 10:44 PM
P: 786
I agree with Fred on this--we really shouldn't overthink these awards. Our community is pretty close-knit and the discussion of nominee's is probably most rewarding.

An honest concern, though
mathwonk
Dec25-05, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
Forgive me, but I do not know what the awards are. how many are there? how are they described? when/how does one vote? who is eligible? I think awards are fun. I will volunteer for most humorless, and oldest, and runnerup chump threadkiller.
arildno
Dec25-05, 01:45 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by mathwonk
Forgive me, but I do not know what the awards are. how many are there? how are they described? when/how does one vote? who is eligible? I think awards are fun. I will volunteer for most humorless, and oldest, and runnerup chump threadkiller.
You became the runner up math guru. (matt grime became the guru this year as he was last year)
mathwonk
Dec25-05, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
wow! that is really flattering. thank you for telling me! that is an honor and a pleasure..
Tom Mattson
Dec25-05, 05:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,533
The discussions were archived and sit at the top of the Feedback and Announcements Forum.

Link: http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167
Lisa!
Dec26-05, 02:39 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mathwonk
You were also nominated for community spirit!

PS You're 1 of those a few people who I really enjoy reading their posts. Is there any award for that?
mathwonk
Dec27-05, 01:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Gee. Thank you very much, Lisa. This really makes me feel more a part of the community. There is nothing like an expression of appreciation. I am very grateful. I have always loved math and have learned a little along the way, but much less than I hoped to (and still hope to), and I like to share it. I also have a long life experience in academia, teaching, hiring, and research, including highs and lows, and am willing to share that also to encourage young people.

I unfortunately am often frustrated with the challenge of having wisdom heard over nonsense, and let that show, but maybe I can learn to temper that some. My main goal as a teacher is actually to discuss math in an atmosphere free of the sort of competition and sneering one upmanship that so dominated my education, but those habits die hard. If we want to evolve, at some point we need to trade in a desire for pats on the back, for a desire to understand and to instruct. We also need to recognize truth whenever and wherever we find it, and be open to it.

And to pay compliments. Thanks again.

Merry xmas.
Chronos
Dec28-05, 02:18 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,389
Bah, the voting thing is just fun. We all have a voice here. This is not worth arguing over. Just getting nominated is honor enough.
Tom Mattson
Dec28-05, 04:18 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,533
Quote Quote by mathwonk
This really makes me feel more a part of the community. There is nothing like an expression of appreciation.
As has been said a number of times, these "guru" awards are for fun on Member's Day (near the end of each year). The more serious recognitions are the 3 medals we bestow, of which you currently bear 2.

But if you want to feel even more a part of the community you could make a donation and get the PF Contributor Medal. Then you'd have all 3. Ah, the hat trick!
Lisa!
Dec28-05, 10:13 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mathwonk
Gee. Thank you very much, Lisa. This really makes me feel more a part of the community. There is nothing like an expression of appreciation. I am very grateful. I have always loved math and have learned a little along the way, but much less than I hoped to (and still hope to), and I like to share it. I also have a long life experience in academia, teaching, hiring, and research, including highs and lows, and am willing to share that also to encourage young people.
I unfortunately am often frustrated with the challenge of having wisdom heard over nonsense, and let that show, but maybe I can learn to temper that some. My main goal as a teacher is actually to discuss math in an atmosphere free of the sort of competition and sneering one upmanship that so dominated my education, but those habits die hard. If we want to evolve, at some point we need to trade in a desire for pats on the back, for a desire to understand and to instruct. We also need to recognize truth whenever and wherever we find it, and be open to it.
And to pay compliments. Thanks again.
Merry xmas.
Thank you very much and happy new year!
Chronos
Jan4-06, 01:51 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It makes my day to hear one curious human say, "Ok, now I get it...." That means more to me than all the medals and awards. I think most medalists would agree.... being a good teacher is the greatest reward.
marlon
Jan4-06, 06:27 AM
P: 4,006
Quote Quote by Chronos
It makes my day to hear one curious human say, "Ok, now I get it...." That means more to me than all the medals and awards. I think most medalists would agree.... being a good teacher is the greatest reward.
I completely agree. Being a good teacher really requires (apart the obvious knowledge on one's subject) great skill and talent. Good teachers are, just like genuinly good actors, very rare in this world.

marlon
Chronos
Jan7-06, 02:23 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Good for you, marlon, you are very deserving. You have been a very good teacher, and patient. I have learned much from you. You pushed me to the next level in mathematics. I am forever in your debt.
marlon
Jan7-06, 04:58 AM
P: 4,006
Quote Quote by Chronos
Good for you, marlon, you are very deserving. You have been a very good teacher, and patient. I have learned much from you. You pushed me to the next level in mathematics. I am forever in your debt.
Thanks for these nice complements. I really appreciate them.

regards
marlon
franznietzsche
Jan19-06, 03:32 AM
P: 1,783
Quote Quote by Moonbear
The technology guru voting this year is a good example. We had a 3-way tie for a while, and it seemed the opposite was the problem...because it was so close, nobody wanted the responsibility of casting the deciding vote, so it stayed tied for quite some time. Once the tie was broken, the votes completely changed course!
I don't know why people let the other votes influence them in something like this. Who wins isn't as important as voicing your appreciation for whichever candidates have helped you most. It's not like voting for a political office where you might decide instead of voting for your candidate who is clearly behind in the polls, you'll cast a vote for your next favorite to keep your least favorite out of office.
While I agree with this, I also agree with SpaceTiger's concerns about restricting it just to a list of nominees followed by a winning announcement. Displaying the results as they play out I think encourages people to post with stories of appreciation of those they think deserve it most. I think that in most cases this is worth the downsides of having the poll results displayed.

A thought: Maybe it would be best to display delayed poll results, make them be a day behind the actual votes. This I think would help eliminate what happened in the tech guru vote, but also address SpaceTiger's concerns. On the other hand, i don't know if this is possible with the PF polling system.
Moonbear
Jan19-06, 09:00 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by franznietzsche
Displaying the results as they play out I think encourages people to post with stories of appreciation of those they think deserve it most.
But that's a big part of the reason for the voting in the first place, to express appreciation for all the nominees.

Register to reply