Register to reply

Coding Theory Homework Question

by SomeRandomGuy
Tags: coding, homework, theory
Share this thread:
SomeRandomGuy
Jan22-06, 06:29 PM
P: 55
Construct a [4, 7^2, 3] code. I know it exists because 7 is prime, so there are 6 MOLS. However, I am not quite sure how to go about constructing this code.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Hurkyl
Jan22-06, 06:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,092
You sure you have that right? You can't encode 49 symbols in a codeword that's only 4 symbols long.

I don't know the acronym `MOL' either.

This sounds like a homework question -- you can usually metareason these out: it would probably be done using a code (or a technique) that you learned recently.
shmoe
Jan22-06, 07:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,995
MOLS=mutually orthogonal latin squares

I'm not positive what the (4,7^2,3) notation refers to, I'm guessing a 3-error correcting code with 7^2 codewords of length 4 (7 symbols each position?).

The construction I have in mind would make codewords of length 8 though. This is a pretty standard construction, and assuming it's what you're trying to do: are you having problems producing the MOLS or coming up with the code given a set of 6 MOLS? (or both?)

SomeRandomGuy
Jan26-06, 09:47 AM
P: 55
Coding Theory Homework Question

Quote Quote by shmoe
MOLS=mutually orthogonal latin squares

I'm not positive what the (4,7^2,3) notation refers to, I'm guessing a 3-error correcting code with 7^2 codewords of length 4 (7 symbols each position?).

The construction I have in mind would make codewords of length 8 though. This is a pretty standard construction, and assuming it's what you're trying to do: are you having problems producing the MOLS or coming up with the code given a set of 6 MOLS? (or both?)
Yes, MOLS is mutually orthogonal latin squares. the notation (4, 7^2, 3) referes to an [n, M, d] code where n is the length of each vector in the code, M is the number of vectors, and d is the minimum distance between them.

Anyway, I figured it our, so it's all good. Thanks for the responses.
shmoe
Jan26-06, 10:57 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,995
Quote Quote by SomeRandomGuy
Yes, MOLS is mutually orthogonal latin squares. the notation (4, 7^2, 3) referes to an [n, M, d] code where n is the length of each vector in the code, M is the number of vectors, and d is the minimum distance between them.

Anyway, I figured it our, so it's all good. Thanks for the responses.
ahh, 3 being minimum distance and not the level of error correction would explain how length 4 code words will be sufficient. Much simpler to construct the code when you only need 2 MOLS and not 6!

Register to reply