Materials issues in the radiation environment

by Astronuc
Tags: environment, materials, radiation
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Feb10-06, 02:42 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
This is rather useful. While it covers primarily materials issues in the Tokamak environment, the issues concerning the performance of materials in an irradiation environment are generic.

ITER - Materials R&D - http://www.iter.org/MaterialsRD.htm

In Light and Heavy Water Reactor technology, not only does one have to be concerned with the normal corrosion that comes with an aqueous environment, but one must be concerned with the effects of neutron, beta and gamma irradiation on materials.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
theCandyman
Feb10-06, 09:48 PM
P: 395
I did not know the ITER website had this, and I usually checked up on it every month or so. As I said in the other thread, materials intrest me so I am suprised I missed it.
PerennialII
Feb11-06, 08:41 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,101
Good complete read about ITER material issues - our dep. has been primarily working on the structural/heat sink, blanket and functional materials & the multimaterial joints that are needed in couple of places. All in all the progress done there has benefitted related materials research areas quite nicely (especially the complex joining issues in those conditions have tested material models & modellers).

Register to reply