EMERGENCY-formula`s for perimeters of ovals

• Thread starter antipreplaydee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding the formula for finding the perimeter of an oval. The participants were confused and requested help, with one person suggesting a formula for an ellipse. However, there is no simple exact formula for the perimeter of an ellipse and it may require numerical methods to solve. The conversation ended with a suggestion to check out a website for further information.
antipreplaydee
Someone please help. I need the formula to find the perimeter of an oval.
Can some one help me.

:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
:confused: please help i need a formula to solve my problem.
i need a formula to find the perimeter of an oval

c`mon. i seriously need help.

Approximately

[tex] p =2 \pi \sqrt { \frac {a^2 + b^2} 2}} [/tex]

Where a and b are the "radius" .

If you want exact you will need to be able to evaluate an elliptic integral... You up for that?

What, exactly, do Y0U mean by "oval". I might be inclined to assume a quadratic formula, but it seems clear that you do do not p[/b}] \pmean tnat

Do you mean an ellipse? This is a specific type of an "oval" and is like a streched out circle. It follows the formula:
[tex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 [/tex]
Unfortunately, there is not a simple exact formula for the perimeter of an ellipse. You might want to check out this website for more information: http://home.att.net/~numericana/answer/ellipse.htm#elliptic [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Until you can say what you mean by "oval" I'm afraid this makes no sense at all.

I have made a call on this thread. I will assume that by "oval" means ellipse. Further, this is not a homework question. Until the OP checks back in there is not really much more to be said.

The formula I provided is for the perimeter of an ellipse. The precise method, which may well be in fact the basis for the name Elliptic Intergral, is beyond fundamental math and may be best done numerially. Thus it may provide the basis for a broader dissussion of an interesting topic.

1. What is an "EMERGENCY-formula" for finding the perimeter of an oval?

The "EMERGENCY-formula" is a simplified method for calculating the perimeter of an oval when precise measurements are not available. It is used as a quick estimate in emergency situations where time is of the essence.

2. How accurate is the "EMERGENCY-formula" for calculating oval perimeters?

The "EMERGENCY-formula" is not as accurate as other methods, such as using the exact mathematical formula or measuring the oval directly. However, it provides a reasonable estimate in emergency situations where accuracy is not the primary concern.

3. What are the steps for using the "EMERGENCY-formula" to find the perimeter of an oval?

The steps for using the "EMERGENCY-formula" are: first, measure the length of the oval's major axis and divide it by 2. Then, measure the length of the oval's minor axis and divide it by 2. Finally, add the two results together and multiply by π (pi) to get an estimate of the oval's perimeter.

4. Can the "EMERGENCY-formula" be used for ovals with irregular shapes?

No, the "EMERGENCY-formula" is only suitable for ovals that have a symmetrical shape, with a clearly defined major and minor axis. Using the formula on irregular ovals will result in an inaccurate estimate of the perimeter.

5. Is the "EMERGENCY-formula" commonly used in scientific research or calculations?

No, the "EMERGENCY-formula" is not commonly used in scientific research or calculations. It is typically used in emergency situations where time is limited and precise measurements are not available. For accurate and precise calculations, other methods should be used.