Proving Force on Arbitrary Wire Same as Straight Wire

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Wire
In summary, the force on the wire is the same as the force on a straight wire carrying a current i directly from a to b.
stunner5000pt
The figure shows a wire of arbitrary shape carrying a current i between points a and b. The wire lies in a plane at right angles to a uniform magnetic field B. Prove that the force on the wire is teh same as that on a straight wire carrying a current i directly from a to b. (Hint: Replace the wire by a series of "steps" that are parllel and perpendicular to the straight line jkoining a and b.)
WEll umm
well the force on the stirahgt wire from a to b is simply
[tex] F = iL \cross B = iLB \sin( \theta)[/tex]
for the arbitrary wire
[tex] F = \int idL \cross B [/tex]
but i is constant and B is constant so
[tex] F = iB \int dL = iBL [/tex] whicvh is the same as the stariaght wire. Is this correct?

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
See my reply to your other post. What is the integral
[tex]
\int d\vec{\ell}
[/tex]
along the curvy wire from [tex] \vec{a} [/tex] to [tex] \vec{b} [/tex]? Does the integral depend on path? Why?

The only reason i can think of an integral not depending on path is because a force is conservative. But why is the force due to a magnetic field conservative? Is it because the energy reamins constant in this system?

You are integrating a differential, what does that tell you about the result of the integration? If you are uncomfortable with this argument and want to be a bit more formal, then try using the fundamental theorem of line integrals on the integral
[tex]
\int_C \vec{v}\cdot d\vec{\ell} = \vec{v} \cdot \int_C d\vec{\ell}
[/tex]
where [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] is an arbitrary vector and C is a path from [tex] \vec{a} [/tex] to [tex] \vec{b} [/tex]. Hint: is [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] the gradient of something? What does this result tell you about [tex]
\int_C d\vec{\ell} \,\, ?
[/tex]

ok the result of this integration [tex] v \oint dl = v \int_{a}^{b} dl = v [l]_{a}^{b} = v (b - a) [/tex]

im not sure what v is the gradient of, however.

A couple of things and you should have your answer.

First, don't forget that [tex] \vec{a} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{b} [/tex] are vectors. I don't know if you're confused about this, or if you just don't bother to notate it, or if you can't get LaTeX to work. I just wanted to emphasize this point either way.

Second, are you sure you can't find a function that [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] is the gradient of? Hint: the partial derivative with respect to x of your unknown function is [tex] v_x [/tex], a constant.

Third, your very close to your answer, here and in the other thread. All you need to do is convince yourself (or more properly, the grader) that
[tex]
\int_C d\vec{\ell} = \vec{b} - \vec{a}
[/tex]
independent of the path C. Once you have this fact, the answers to both your questions are easy to get.

What is the concept behind proving force on arbitrary wire same as straight wire?

The concept behind proving force on arbitrary wire same as straight wire is that the force experienced by a wire carrying an electric current is directly proportional to the current and the length of the wire, regardless of its shape or orientation.

Why is it important to prove force on arbitrary wire same as straight wire?

It is important to prove force on arbitrary wire same as straight wire because it allows us to accurately calculate the force exerted by an electric current on a wire, regardless of its shape. This is crucial in understanding and designing electrical systems and devices.

How can force on arbitrary wire be mathematically proven to be the same as straight wire?

The mathematical proof involves using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. By applying this law to both an arbitrary wire and a straight wire, we can see that the forces on both wires are equal.

Are there any limitations to proving force on arbitrary wire same as straight wire?

There are some limitations to this concept, as it assumes that the wire is infinitely thin and has a uniform current distribution. In reality, wires may have varying thickness and non-uniform current distribution, which can affect the force exerted.

What are some practical applications of proving force on arbitrary wire same as straight wire?

This concept has a wide range of practical applications, such as in designing motors, generators, and other electrical devices. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electric currents in complex circuits and in predicting the forces experienced by wires in these circuits.