How Far Can a Person Walk on an Overhanging Plank Before It Tips?

• Thread starter TastyTyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the problem involves finding the distance x at which a person weighing 441 N can walk on an overhanging part of a uniform plank weighing 216 N without causing it to tip. To solve this, you need to balance the forces and torques acting on the plank. The torque equation will be useful in finding x, but you need to figure out the torques exerted by the left and right supports, as well as the person's weight. Once these torques are balanced, you can solve for x by setting the total torque equal to zero and finding the moment arm.
TastyTyr
A uniform plank of length 5.8 m and weight 216 N rests horizontally on two supports, with 1.1 m of the plank hanging over the right support (see the drawing). To what distance x can a person who weighs 441 N walk on the overhanging part of the plank before it just begins to tip?

This is what I did:

I took the weight of the plank and multiplied by the hanging support. I next set that equal to the weight of the person times x distance

So it looks like:

216(1.1)=441x
I solved for x and got
x=0.539

but it's wrong...what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem begins with the realization that just before the plank tips over, the normal force from the left support vanishes. To find the position x of equilibrium, you should balance the force and the torque on the plank. Which of these two equations will be useful for finding x?

..and so the sum of all forces and the sum of torque should both equal zero
but do I use the torque equation at all?
T=R*F or T=F*L

was what I did at first completely wrong??

Well, the force equation doesn't involve x, so it can't be used to find x. I think you had the right idea above, but you excuted it incorrectly. You need to figure out the torque exerted by the left side of the board, the right side of the board, and the person. All these torques should balance in equilibrium. To find the torque you need to know the force that is creating the torque. Once you have this force, you can figure out the moment arm either by doing a simple integral or simply by guessing.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate or spin around a fixed axis. It involves studying the relationship between the forces acting on a rotating object and its resulting angular acceleration and motion.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is different from linear dynamics in that it focuses on the motion of objects in circular or rotational motion, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Additionally, rotational dynamics involves concepts such as torque and moment of inertia, which are not present in linear dynamics.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to angular acceleration. It is similar to mass in linear dynamics and is dependent on the object's shape and mass distribution. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the object's rotational motion.

4. How is torque related to rotational dynamics?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. In rotational dynamics, torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the faster it will rotate.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, turbines, and other rotating machinery. It is also crucial in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space. Additionally, many sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, involve rotational dynamics in their movements and techniques.