Calculating Escape Speed and Orbital Energy in Universal Gravitation

Use this to determine the kinetic energy at the new altitude of 200km and subtract it from the current kinetic energy to find the change in energy needed. In summary, the first conversation involves determining the escape speed for a rocket on the far side of Ganymede, taking into account Jupiter's gravitational influence. The second conversation is about calculating the energy needed to move a satellite from a constant altitude of 100km to an altitude of 200km in a circular orbit around the Earth. Both conversations involve using principles of gravitational potential and kinetic energy.
dekoi
1.) Consider attached image (P13.41). Determine the escape speed for a rocket on the far side of Ganymede.

The escape speed from Ganymede without Jupiters influence would be [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2GM_{gan.}}{r_{gan.}}}[/tex]. Now the ship will have a velocity equal to that of the escape velocity needed to escape Ganymede when it leaves Ganymede, so in order to escape Jupiter's gravitational field, we would need a velocity which is less. That is: [tex]v_{esc} = v_{gan.} - v_{jup.} [/tex] To calculate v_jup, we would use the distance from ganymede to Jupiter.

Im not sure why my method is incorrect.

2.) A 1000kg sattelite orbits the Earth at a constant altitude of 100km. How much energy must be added to the system to move the sattellite into a circular obrit with altitude 200km?

[tex]W = \Delta U = U_{new} - U_{original} [/tex] Now this turns into:
[tex] W = \frac{-GMm}{2} (\frac{1}{r_{new}} - \frac{1}{r_{original}}[/tex] . This, once again, does not give me the correct answer.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1, you should try writing out the complete gravitational potential function first, then equivalate it to KE. That would make more sense to me than blind velocity subtraction/addition without solid principles.

For 2, consider both its change in gravitational potential and kinetic energies.

I don't know how i could start the questions with the information you have given me. Could you give give some specific beginning-points please?

Assume that Jupiter is an absolute reference. From there, write out the gravitational potential due to Jupiter. Also, write out the potential due to the moon. How energy is needed to escape to an infinitely far away distance? Note that while on the moon, you already have some of this kinetic energy.

For 2, calculate the change in gravitational potential energy as you already have. Now calculate the change in kinetic energy. F = mv^2/r tells you the velocity (and thus corresponding kinetic energy) at any orbital distance.

What is escape speed?

Escape speed is the minimum velocity required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body. It is the speed at which the kinetic energy of the object is equal to the potential energy at the surface of the body.

How is escape speed calculated?

Escape speed can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object's starting point.

What is orbital energy?

Orbital energy is the sum of an object's kinetic and potential energy in orbit around a celestial body. It is a measure of the total energy required to keep the object in its orbit.

How is orbital energy calculated?

Orbital energy can be calculated using the formula E = -GMm/2r, where E is the orbital energy, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, m is the mass of the smaller body, and r is the distance between the two bodies.

How are escape speed and orbital energy related?

Escape speed and orbital energy are related by the fact that they are both dependent on the mass and distance of the celestial bodies involved. As an object gains more escape speed, its orbital energy also increases.