Register to reply

Pot. energy

by Kamataat
Tags: energy
Share this thread:
Kamataat
Nov29-05, 12:16 PM
P: 135
If h, the height of a body from the ground, approaches infinity, then the body's potential energy approaches 0? I'm assuming a non-constant value for g.

E_p = mgh. In this equation I get 0 times infinity, which is mathematically indeterminate, but I'm guessing that the physical interpretation takes it to equal 0?

- Kamataat
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Doc Al
Nov29-05, 12:35 PM
Mentor
P: 41,436
That equation--[itex]E_p = mgh[/itex]--is only good for measuring gravitational PE near the surface of the earth. (As you note, g is not constant as the height of a body increases, but that equation ignores that fact.) Also, the implied reference point in that equation takes the surface of the earth as the point where PE = 0.

If you want to go to infinity, you'll have to integrate the work done against gravity which varies with distance. Also, it's more convenient to take infinity as the PE = 0 point, which makes the potential energy negative for sub-infinite distances. Just for the record, the gravitational PE for an object of mass m at a distance of r from center of the earth (where r > radius of the earth) is given by:
[tex]-\frac{G M_{(earth)} m}{r}[/tex]
Meir Achuz
Nov29-05, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,007
Quote Quote by Kamataat
If h, the height of a body from the ground, approaches infinity, then the body's potential energy approaches 0? I'm assuming a non-constant value for g.
E_p = mgh. In this equation I get 0 times infinity, which is mathematically indeterminate, but I'm guessing that the physical interpretation takes it to equal 0?
- Kamataat
mgh is only valid near the surface of the Earth, that is when
h<<R(earth). The formula for larger h is E_p=(mgR^2)/(R+h), which-->0 as h-->infty.

Kamataat
Nov29-05, 01:00 PM
Pot. energy

So if a question asks to find the speed which a body must achieve at ground level to escape the Earth's grav. field, then I can take E_p@infinty = 0? From that |E_k|=|E_p| to find the speed?

- Kamataat
Doc Al
Nov29-05, 01:04 PM
Mentor
Sounds good. (Mechanical energy is conserved. The total energy at r = infinity that an object must have to just barely escape is zero.)
Kamataat
Nov29-05, 01:14 PM
Thank you!

- Kamataat
vaishakh
Dec1-05, 07:58 PM
P: 342
I don't think what you told is correct. This only means that the Kinetic energy of a body that jumps out of earth's gravitational field increases suddenly. This doesn't mean that 0 kinetic energy is enough for a body to be propelled outside the earth's gravitational field.
Doc Al
Dec1-05, 08:30 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by vaishakh
I don't think what you told is correct. This only means that the Kinetic energy of a body that jumps out of earth's gravitational field increases suddenly.
I don't understand what you're saying. What do you mean by an object "jumping" out of the earth's field?

This doesn't mean that 0 kinetic energy is enough for a body to be propelled outside the earth's gravitational field.
If you just make it to r = infinity with zero KE you have effectively escaped the earth's gravity. That condition will give you the minimum speed at the earth's surface that will get you to infinity. (This is called the escape velocity.) If you want to end up with some non-zero speed at infinity, you'll need a greater initial speed. The basic idea of energy conservation still applies.
vaishakh
Dec2-05, 01:09 PM
P: 342
sorry-Doc Al
yes, much better interpretation is that escape velocity depends on gravitational force. as r tends to infinity gravitational force tends to zero. thus that's true.
we were confused since we were comparing it with the potential energy.
Tuneman
Dec2-05, 09:38 PM
P: 42
ya i must ask what r going to infinity has to do with escape velocity, when one can simply assume its when KE=PE
Doc Al
Dec3-05, 07:42 PM
Mentor
"Going to infinity" is what escaping the earth means. To just barely make it, you'd need zero speed at r = infinity. Since PE = 0 (by definition) at r = infinity, the total energy needed is zero. At the earth's surface, that translates into: KE + PE = 0. Thus KE = - PE. (PE is negative at the earth's surface.)

Register to reply