Proving Group Isomorphism: Q& & Z[X]

In summary: The map you need to show is a homomorphism is as follows: you must send the reciprocal of a fraction to the inverse, and you must send the product of rationals to their sum.
TimNguyen
Prove that there exists a group isomorphism between (Q&,*) and (Z[X],+) where Q& is the set of strictly positive rational numbers.

I was thinking of mapping a p_n, being the nth prime in Q& to x^(n-1). Would this work for this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
commonly you'd write [tex] \mathbb{Q}^+[/tex], though what is Z[x]? the polynomial ring in one variable with integer coefficients?

Yes, Z[z] is a polynomial ring with integer coefficients. Also, I have no idea how to do the fancy graphic stuff so I wouldn't be able to type out "the set of rational numbers".

read the sticky thread on latex. you can click on any 'fancy' picture to see what the generating text is.

Your idea is on the right lines, though you need to specify more than just p_n goes to x^n: where does 1/p_n go? what about 4, where is that sent?

Could I just send those to non-variable coefficients in Z[X]?

No, that can't happen. It is a homomorphism. You must send the reciprocal of a fraction to the inverse in Z[x], and you must send the product of rationals to their sum in Z[x]. I'm just saying that you need to show that the map you defined by specifying where p_n goes is indeed a homomorphism.

So, beside the mapping that I've already created, I need to make "additions" to the function in order to make it homomorphic?

If you were doing this and were a proven algebraist what you initially said is fine, since, with experience it's 'obvious' how to fill in the gaps, but you're trying to prove that you know what you're doing, so you need to show that that map, extended to any rational number, not just a prime, is a homomorphism. You don't have to make additions, as such, just prove that it is a homomorphism (and thence an isomorphism).
I mean, I know where that map with the proper details filled in sends 4/9, but do you? Rememver you're trying to both understand what's going on and demonstrate that understanding.

So basically, all I need to do is for an arbitrary a,b in Q, then find a way to compute it so it will lead to:

f(ab) = f(a) + f(b)?

But, surely you knew 'how to compute it' already...

you know you have to send, say 4=2^2 to x^2+x^2=2x^2, and 8=2^3 to x^2+x^2+x^2=3x^2 in order for it to be a homomorhism, hey, wonder what that is generally... now check it is indeed a homomorphism (and bijective)

Thank you once again, I think I have a brief idea.

1. What is a group isomorphism?

A group isomorphism is a function between two groups that preserves the group structure. This means that the operation of the two groups is preserved under the function, and the elements of the two groups can be matched one-to-one.

2. How do you prove two groups are isomorphic?

To prove two groups are isomorphic, you must show that there exists a bijective function between the two groups that preserves the group structure. This can be done by showing that the function is both one-to-one and onto, and that it preserves the group operation.

3. What is the significance of proving group isomorphism?

Proving group isomorphism is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the relationship between different groups. It also helps us identify patterns and similarities between groups, making it easier to solve problems and make connections between different areas of mathematics.

4. Can two groups be isomorphic even if they have different elements?

Yes, two groups can be isomorphic even if they have different elements. The only requirement for isomorphism is that the group structure is preserved, not the specific elements or operations within the group.

5. How can you use the concept of group isomorphism to solve problems?

Group isomorphism can be used to simplify complex problems by reducing them to a known isomorphic group. This allows us to use the properties and theorems of the known group to solve the problem. It also allows us to make connections between seemingly unrelated problems by identifying isomorphic groups.