How to Prove a Function Has a Fixed Point on a Closed Interval?

In summary, the conversation discusses two proofs related to continuous functions on a closed interval. The first problem involves proving that two continuous functions with specific initial and end points must intersect at some point within the interval. The second problem involves proving that any continuous function on the interval [0,1] must have a fixed point, or a point where the function equals its input. The conversation also includes a helpful hint to use the Intermediate Value Theorem and concludes with the speaker thanking for the assistance.
SomeRandomGuy
1.) Suppose f:[a,b]->R and g:[a,b]->R are continuous such that f(a)<=g(a) and f(b)=>g(b). Prove that f(c)=g(c) for some c in [a,b].

I started out by using the Intermediate Value Property for some c1 and c2 with f(c1)=L1 and g(c2)=L2. I am trying to conclude that L1=L2. This was one approach. Then, I also tried setting up a ratio where f(a)/g(a) > 1 and f(b)/g(b) < 1 by assumption. These are continuous if g !=0, so there must exist a point where f/g = 1. But, what if g(x)=0. This method seems to fall apart as well, and now I'm stuck.

2.) Let f:[0,1]->[0,1] be a continuous function. Prove that f must have a fixed point; that is, show f(x)=x for some x in [0,1]. I'm trying to show that f must intersect the graph g(x)=x by using the IVP again. Don't quite know how, though. Seems that if I figure out the first problem, this one would be very similiar.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint for 1. Consider the function h(x)=f(x)-g(x) and apply the intermediate value theorem.

2 is easy once you know 1.

Wow... I tell ya, sometimes I just feel like a moron with how obvious some of these proofs are.

Thanks for your help, both of these problems were cake.

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It focuses on the rigorous development of concepts such as limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. What are the main topics covered in Real Analysis?

The main topics covered in Real Analysis are sequences and series, limits and continuity, differentiation, integration, and metric spaces. Other important topics include topology, measure theory, and functional analysis.

3. What are the applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve real-world problems involving continuous systems and functions.

4. What are the key differences between Real Analysis and Calculus?

Real Analysis is a more rigorous and abstract version of Calculus. It focuses on the foundational concepts and principles of Calculus, rather than just the computational techniques. Real Analysis also covers more advanced topics such as topology and measure theory.

5. What are some recommended resources for studying Real Analysis?

Some recommended resources for studying Real Analysis include textbooks such as "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin and "Real Mathematical Analysis" by Charles Pugh. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy also offer free lectures and practice problems for Real Analysis.