Help with conservative line integrals.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential function of a given equation and using partial derivatives to do so. The process involves integrating the partial derivatives with respect to each variable and combining the unique solutions to get the potential function. The conversation also mentions the inclusion of constants in the final function to account for any discrepancies in the partial derivatives.
seang
I'm really having trouble with this, I can't even understand the example in my textbook. The example problem is:

Show that ydx + xdy + 4dz is exact and then evaluate it over some limits.

I can show that its exact, and once I find the function, I can evaluate it, so I really just need help getting the function. So the book says:

df/dx = y; df/dy = x; df/dz = 4; I understand this part, then the next step is:

f(x,y,z) = xy + g(y,z); Got this too, but now the fun begins. The next line is:

df/dy = x + dg/dy = x or dg/dy = 0; I have no idea what they're talking about here. Where is the dg/dy from? And why is 'x' what the equation is supposed to equal? The next step is:

f(x,y,z) = xy + h(z); followed by:

df/dz = 0 + dh/dz = 4 or h(z) = 4z + C; Again, I have no idea where the dh/dz if from. Also, above df/dz = 4, now it is 0? I understand that if you differentiate 4, you get 0, but what's with the discrepancy?

Any help is appreciated! I know this is long so thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems like a really confusing way to explain the procedure, at least if I've gotten what it's trying to get at straight.

If you have the following function:

[tex]xy+4z[/tex]

and find the partial derivatives, you'll get:

[tex]\frac{\partial (xy + 4z)}{\partial x}=y + 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial xy + 4z}{\partial y}=x + 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial xy + 4z}{\partial z}=0 + 4[/tex]

What you're doing is the inverse. Integrate the partial derivative with respect to x and you should get the original function -- with the exception of any constants. With respect to x, 4z is just a constant.

You do the same with the partial derivative with respect to y and should also get the original function, with the exception of any constants (4z in this case).

You do the same with the partial derivative with respect to z and get the original function, with the exception of any constants (xy in this case).

Any unique terms are combined into one equation to get the original function. When you integrated with respect to x and with respect to y, you got xy for both (plus some constant). You only include the xy once in your final function, since you didn't get a new unique solution. When you integrated with respect to z, you got a new unique solution - 4z. You combine the unique solutions to get the potential function of xy + 4z.

Of course, since xy + 4z + 6 gets you the same partial derivatives, when you're going in reverse, there will be no way to know that the 6 should have been in the potential function, so your potential function should be xy + 4z + K to cover any constants that had a partial derivative of 0 for all three variables.

In your example, your first integration with respect to x yielded xy + g(y,z), since the partial derivative of any function consisting of just y, z, or yz, yielded a partial derivative with respect to x of 0. And so on.

1. What is a conservative line integral?

A conservative line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the work done by a conservative force along a path. It involves integrating a vector field along a given curve.

2. How is a conservative line integral different from a regular line integral?

A regular line integral involves integrating a scalar function along a curve, while a conservative line integral involves integrating a vector field along a curve. Additionally, conservative line integrals are path-independent, meaning the result is the same regardless of the chosen path, while regular line integrals may vary depending on the chosen path.

3. What is the significance of a conservative line integral in physics?

In physics, conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy and can be described by a potential energy function. Conservative line integrals are useful in calculating the work done by these forces, and also in determining the potential energy of a system.

4. How do you solve a conservative line integral?

To solve a conservative line integral, you first need to determine if the vector field is conservative. This can be done by checking if the vector field satisfies a certain condition called the gradient condition. If it does, then you can use a potential function to evaluate the integral. If it does not, then a different method, such as Green's theorem, may be used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of conservative line integrals?

Yes, conservative line integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the work done by a conservative force, finding the potential energy of a system, and determining the circulation of a fluid flow. They also have applications in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.