jobs for Philosopher?

by beanryu
Tags: jobs, philosopher
beanryu
Dec6-05, 05:12 PM
P: 96
Okay, I want to be a philosopher.
I think about life alot, the meaning of life, people's interaction and I think i figured out alots of things already in my own interpretation.

Is there any job available for a thinker like me except becoming a teacher or another confucius? Any jobs for Philosopher? Philosophy major?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
inha
Dec6-05, 05:33 PM
P: 576
I have no factual information but I guess your career choices would be either getting a faculty position at some university or flipping burgers.
Math Is Hard
Dec6-05, 05:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
Many people who have an undergrad degree in philosophy end up going into law.

JasonRox
Dec6-05, 05:48 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,328

jobs for Philosopher?

Quote Quote by inha
I have no factual information but I guess your career choices would be either getting a faculty position at some university or flipping burgers.
He might get fired for flipping burgers because he will be thinking about flipping burgers too much, and not actually flipping them.

I don't think there is much out there for a Philosophy Degree, probably nothing. If you think about life so much, I find it surprising that you aren't into physics or anything of the sort.

Philosophy is cool and everything, but you studying philosophy doesn't really make you a better of a thinker, in my opinion. I'm taking a philosophy course next term, but I don't expect anything out of it besides a history lesson (which is why I'm taking it).

I believe Paul S. Halmos got his Ph. D in Philosophy and he admitted that getting a Ph. D. in Philosophy you must become a mindless drone, so I don't know where being a mindless drone becomes useful.

Note: Like MIH said above, Law is probably a good direction. She is right. Most people argue that they Law Students choose to take Art Degrees because they are easier, hence higher marks, and easier entry into Law School.

Note: I know of two Law Students, and they both agree with what I said in the previous note.
robphy
Dec6-05, 06:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,108
http://www.ephilosopher.com/Sections...e20-page1.html
from
http://www.rileyguide.com/arts.html#phil
gravenewworld
Dec6-05, 09:30 PM
P: 1,389
Study logic. Logic goes hand in hand with computer science/programming. You can be a philosopher that does programming. Med schools like philo majors too.
beanryu
Dec7-05, 01:17 AM
P: 96
but the thing about physics and engineering is that they require a lot of work and talents in math. I can't even take an integral now and I am drowning in my electrical engineering class.
Tide
Dec7-05, 01:18 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,149
Write books! Either textbooks or popularizations - start early and be persistent.
Math Is Hard
Dec7-05, 04:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
Just for fun, here is a list of famous philosophy majors:
http://www.clemson.edu/caah/philosop...%20majors.html

I thought the "Hollywood" group was the most interesting:

Wes Anderson (director and filmmaker - Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums)
Steve Allen (writer and comedian)
Woody Allen (director, writer and comedian)
George Carlin (Comedian and actor)
David Duchovny (actor on X-FILES)
Harrison Ford (actor)
Chris Hardwick (MTV host)
Jimmy Kimmel (comedian and former star of The Man Show)
Jay Leno (Host, The Tonight Show)
Peter Lynch (director)
Amy Madigan (Actress)
Steve Martin (comedian & actor)
Dennis Miller (comedian)
Joan Rivers (comedian)
Susan Sarandon (actress)
Gene Siskel (movie reviewer, SISKEL & EBERT AT THE MOVIES)
Steve Thomas--Host, This Old House
Dave Thomas (one of the "Mackenzie Brothers" on SCTV)
Alex Trebeck (Host of Jeopardy)
Poop-Loops
Dec7-05, 11:29 PM
P: 863
Philosophy is fun, but there's not much you can do. Your best bet is probably just leaving it as a hobby and do something else that you like.

The LAST thing we need is another hippy running around giving his opinion on things nobody cares about. ;)
JoshHolloway
Dec13-05, 12:54 AM
P: 222
You could always get a good factory or construction job with a philosophy degree.
Solombas
Jul29-09, 02:07 AM
P: 10
This is a useful website for advice on the kind of jobs you can get into with a PhD in Philosophy:

http://homepage.mac.com/mcolyvan/careeradvice.html

If you think about life a lot Philosophy IS exactly what you need to study alongside with a science of your interest (e.g. psychology, physics, biology etc.). I have been studying philosophy for enough years now to understand that:

1) Philosophy is NOT a history lesson!!

What is Philosophy?
There is no formal definition BUT:
Philosophers try to understand about the mind and the world, about what we ought to do as human beings and our place in the universe through the use of ARGUMENTATION and LOGIC.

2) Philosophy REQUIRES you to be a better thinker!

Philosophy is different than most university courses in that it ISN'T about conveying a body of empirical facts. Philosophy is about CRITICALLY ANALYSING an argument for a conclusion, regardless if the conclusion is empirical or not.

Therefore, Philosophy HAS to involve critical thinking skills!

I am much like you in that I think about meaning of life a lot. It is not an easy thing to do to understand the universe and it cannot be done by studying one discipline of science or philosophy alone (yes not even physics by itself and you can see Einstein was also an enthusiastic philosopher).

It is often better to study some discipline of science and philosophy as you will need both to understand the universe.

Quote Quote by JasonRox View Post
He might get fired for flipping burgers because he will be thinking
about flipping burgers too much, and not actually flipping them.

I don't think there is much out there for a Philosophy Degree, probably nothing. If you think about life so much, I find it surprising that you aren't into physics or anything of the sort.

Philosophy is cool and everything, but you studying philosophy doesn't really make you a better of a thinker, in my opinion. I'm taking a philosophy course next term, but I don't expect anything out of it besides a history lesson (which is why I'm taking it).

I believe Paul S. Halmos got his Ph. D in Philosophy and he admitted that getting a Ph. D. in Philosophy you must become a mindless drone, so I don't know where being a mindless drone becomes useful.

Note: Like MIH said above, Law is probably a good direction. She is right. Most people argue that they Law Students choose to take Art Degrees because they are easier, hence higher marks, and easier entry into Law School.

Note: I know of two Law Students, and they both agree with what I said in the previous note.
Solombas
Jul29-09, 02:09 AM
P: 10
Don't know where you get that misinformation from.

Philosophy ISN'T about giving opinions, they don't give a DAMN about opinions. Philosophers care about the reasons behind a conclusion and they analyse them critically through use of logic. Simple as that - there is no trick about philosophy!

Quote Quote by Poop-Loops View Post
Philosophy is fun, but there's not much you can do. Your best bet is probably just leaving it as a hobby and do something else that you like.

The LAST thing we need is another hippy running around giving his opinion on things nobody cares about. ;)
maverick_starstrider
Jul29-09, 03:20 AM
P: 1,154
Quote Quote by Solombas View Post
Don't know where you get that misinformation from.

Philosophy ISN'T about giving opinions, they don't give a DAMN about opinions. Philosophers care about the reasons behind a conclusion and they analyse them critically through use of logic. Simple as that - there is no trick about philosophy!
There's a big difference between PHILOSOPHY as a field and a PHILOSOPHER. Philosophers, in my complete and exclusive experience, are just full of hot air and either go to faculty positions, law school, use their degree as one of the standard "any bachelours required" jobs or become writers. I've often felt that the field of PHILOSOPHY has been tarnished, in the post-modern era, by PHILOSOPHER. But that's just one mans opinion.
mal4mac
Jul29-09, 06:13 AM
P: 1,036
Quote Quote by beanryu View Post
Okay, I want to be a philosopher.
I think about life alot, the meaning of life, people's interaction and I think i figured out alots of things already in my own interpretation.
Sounds like you *already are* a philosopher manque. So do you want to be a professional philosopher?

Quote Quote by beanryu View Post
Is there any job available for a thinker like me except becoming a teacher or another confucius? Any jobs for Philosopher? Philosophy major?
What do you mean by "teacher"? School teacher? Of what? Physics? University teacher? Of what? I

I don't think the careers office will be able to help you with your aim to "be another Confucius." Too ill defined. What do you mean by this in terms they would understand? Political Adviser? Philosophical Counsellor?
D H
Jul29-09, 07:02 AM
Mentor
P: 14,456
Do philosophers specialize in giving untimely answers? This thread is almost four years old!
DukeofDuke
Jul29-09, 08:18 AM
P: 283
He's probably got his PhD in flipping burgers, er, philosophy, by now.
mal4mac
Jul30-09, 06:15 AM
P: 1,036
Philosophers are quite happy to pursue threads that are 2500 years old. Plato and Aristotle are looked at as 'philosophical colleagues', and are much cited in modern philosophy books.

Register to reply