Integrating Factor Method for Solving Differential Equations

In summary, the general solution for the differential equation xy' + (1+x)y = e^(-x)sin2x is y= (-cos2x)/(2xe^(x)) + c/(xe^(x)). The solution was obtained by plugging in the given equation and simplifying, as well as using the integrating factor method.
Beretta
Hi all,

Is the general solution of xy' + (1+x) y = e^(-x) sin 2x,
y= (-cos2x)/(2xe^(x)) + c/(xe^(x))

Thank you very much guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just plug it in so you can check for yourself whether it is correct?

Well the "c/(xe^(x))" part looks good.

Carl

Galileo said:
Why don't you just plug it in so you can check for yourself whether it is correct?

Because the other way arround is too long, and I'm not that good to garanty free-mistakes in the backward if I couldn't in the forward.

CarlB said:
Well the "c/(xe^(x))" part looks good.
Carl
I solved it again I got (-cos2x)/(2xe^(x)) that (1/2)(1/x)(cos2x/e^x)

Beretta said:
Because the other way arround is too long, and I'm not that good to garanty free-mistakes in the backward if I couldn't in the forward.

If you won't do it "backward" then you'll never know if your "forward" is right. My advice: Just do it!

Beretta said:

Well, first write it as:

[tex]y^{'}+\frac{1+x}{x}y=\frac{Sin[2x]}{xe^x}[/tex]

right?

Then solve for the integrating factor:

[tex]\sigma=Exp[\int (1+1/x)dx][/tex]

or:

[tex]\sigma=xe^x[/tex]

multiplying both sides of the DE by this integrating factor results in:

[tex]d\left[xe^x y]=Sin[2x]dx[/tex]

Can you finish it now?

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more variables to their rates of change. It is used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the unknown function that satisfies the given equation, thus providing a solution to the problem at hand. This can help in predicting the behavior of a system and making informed decisions.

What are the types of differential equations?

Differential equations can be classified into three main types: ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve functions of one variable, PDEs involve functions of multiple variables, and SDEs involve random variables.

What are the methods for solving differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and Euler's method. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used to model and understand real-life phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are also used in creating mathematical models for predicting weather patterns, population growth, and stock market behavior.