by iron~orchid
Tags: concepts
Share this thread:
iron~orchid
Dec6-03, 04:27 AM
P: 73
In the contemplation of values we must distinguish between that
which is
value in our being and that which HAS value.

I ask - what is the difference?
----------------------------------

The difference by my theory is:

Value can never be static; meaning that experience
adds to value. It is the appreciative consciousness of value that
is the difference.

For instance, man may manufacture a machine which is of value, but
its real value must be derived from its use in human culture and
from personal appreciation.

So, you have love as a value within your being. But that love is
relatively valueless without growth through the potential of its
expansion. That love HAS value through your contribution and
mobilization of its power.

Question:

Is growth always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or
spiritual ???

thanks luvs, i~o
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Royce
Dec6-03, 08:08 AM
P: 1,476
Is value only that quality that we humans give a thing because it is useful or pleasing to us or can value of any kind of value such as beauty be intrinsic? It seem awfully audacious to think that only we humans can assign any value to anything and then only in relation to ourselves.
I think all growth if not conscious will soon become conscious. We are after all self aware and as ourselves change we become aware, conscious of that change.
Mentat
Dec6-03, 10:46 AM
P: 3,715
Uh, iron~orchid, this thread would probably be more comfortable in the "Value Theory" forum.

In fact, it asks some of the central questions of value theory, and could be many threads, since there are many possible answers.

BoulderHead
Dec6-03, 01:52 PM
P: n/a
Concepts of Value

Concepts of Value
In the contemplation of values we must distinguish between that
which is value in our being and that which HAS value.

I ask - what is the difference?
My answer – there isn’t any.

Value is strictly within the human mind. It is related directly to how we act within our environment. Each of us may think and act differently even when staring at the same moss covered rock and so it can be seen that value is relative, relative to the individual making the judgment, that is. There is no universal yardstick with which to measure a potato and claim; yes, this has a value of 37.2.
Jeebus
Dec6-03, 02:00 PM
P: 271
Originally posted by BoulderHead
My answer – there isn’t any.

Value is strictly within the human mind. It is related directly to how we act within our environment. Each of us may think and act differently even when staring at the same moss covered rock and so it can be seen that value is relative, relative to the individual making the judgment, that is. There is no universal yardstick with which to measure a potato and claim; yes, this has a value of 37.2.
I kind of agree with this and kind of disagree with this. While I do agree value is within the human mind, I think the environent or naturalistic concepts are made of color, so my theory would be that color is value. An extreme position would be that colors and values therefore are not in the world at all, they instead are mere projections that tell us more about the users of response-dependent concepts than about the world they inhabit. That's my theory. Even though setting aside such extreme views, a number of important philosophical and psychological questions would still remain open.

Register to reply