by franz32
Tags: heat, loss, rate
franz32
Dec6-03, 06:41 AM
P: 134
Hello everyone.

I have questions to ask.

1. What is Newton's Law of cooling?

2. The factors that affect the rate of cooling of a body are nature of a substance and temp. gradient. What are those?

3. How does each affect the cooling of a body? Are each of them varies directly with it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
HallsofIvy
Dec6-03, 02:56 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,882
"Newton's law of cooling" says that when two bodies are placed in contact, heat will flow from the body with higher temperature to the body with lower temperature at a rate proportional to the difference in the temperatures.

"2. The factors that affect the rate of cooling of a body are nature of a substance and temp. gradient. What are those?"

I'm sorry? Are you asking "what is the nature of a substance"?
"temp. gradient" is the "difference in the temperatures" above.

3. is answered in 1.
franz32
Dec7-03, 07:38 AM
Hello..

in 2, yes, what i meant is "what is the nature of a substance". thank you.

Doc Al
Dec7-03, 08:10 AM
Mentor
P: 40,883

Rate of Heat Loss

Originally posted by franz32
yes, what i meant is "what is the nature of a substance". thank you.
This just means that substances vary in their ability to conduct heat. (For example: silver conducts heat better than wood.) This property of a substance is called its thermal conductivity.
franz32
Dec7-03, 11:59 PM
Hello again! [:)]

So it is meant that the 'rate of cooling of a body' is direcctly proportional to 'temp. gradient'... did I get it right? =D

And so, the graph 'temp. gradient' vs 'rate of cooling of a body' must be a line sloping upward?

How about the nature of a substance? Is the graph of it hyperbolic to the 'rate of cooling of a body'? [:)]
franz32
Dec10-03, 04:19 AM
Um, something went wrong... someone did reply but I can't see it here, even I click the link...

Well, here's my problem....

How does the nature of a substance ("In rate of heat loss") affect the rate of cooling? Do they vary inversely? How does the graph looked like? =)
HallsofIvy
Dec10-03, 01:39 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,882
The "nature of a substance" is the coefficient in the proportion of heat flow to temperature distance. Specifically, it is the "heat conduction" constant for the substance. Since saying "heat flow is proportional to difference in temperature" is saying
"ΔQ= k(T1-T[sub]0[/sup]) and k is the "nature of the substance", heat flow is proportional to it, not inversely proportional.
franz32
Dec11-03, 05:00 AM
Hi!

Well, thank you very much, HallsOfIvy and Doc Al. =) I learned a lot! =)

Register to reply