Russia + nuke plant + explosion

by Pengwuino
Tags: explosion, nuke, plant, russia
Pengwuino
Dec16-05, 02:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Yah those are the last 4 words you want to see in the same sentence!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10490469/

But it's ok, nothing bad happened..... supposedly....
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
mezarashi
Dec16-05, 03:05 PM
HW Helper
P: 661
That's the problem with simply giving away nuclear technology to any random nation. Even a 'veteran' of nuclear power like Russia has problems. The consequences of irresponsiblity can be beyond horror. Fortunately as with most "nuclear incidents" I've read, this incident was not related to the reactor core itself.
Pengwuino
Dec16-05, 03:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Well I think it was a rather bad way to wake up. Get on the computer, check your msn homepage, "Blast rocks Russia nuke plant".

Astronuc
Dec16-05, 03:25 PM
Admin
P: 21,628

Russia + nuke plant + explosion

Well apparently the explosin took place in a smelting operation, which has nothing to do with the nuclear reactor. Possibly the smelter uses electric power coming from Unit 2.

The article is somewhat confusing, since smelting normally refers to extraction of metal from ore, such as a sulphide, but then the article refers to scrap metal recovery. I hope they don't mix in activated metals.
Just some guy
Dec16-05, 03:38 PM
P: 76
Pure FUD. Reactor walls have the integrity to withstand a blast from some smelter, even ones made in Russia.

Reminds me of when the press screamed about 'Japan's worst nuclear disaster' which killed four people. Of course they neglect to mention that it occured in a part of the plant that was completely unrelated to the reactor and is present in every fuel-based power plant under the sun.

Stupid hippies.
PerennialII
Dec16-05, 03:46 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,101
.... about 100 miles from here, well, nothing new under the sun. Hope any of our guys weren't over there doing their "glueing the place together" - routine, or more like working on NDE of the plant.

Register to reply