James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)

by mewhoexactlywhat
Tags: calculus, edition, james, stewart
mewhoexactlywhat
Dec23-05, 01:04 PM
P: 44
Can anyone tell me how James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition) is divided into Calculus 1, 2, and 3 (which chapters belong to each subject)?
I've heard that it contains all three but I cannot see any clear division. Also, where does multivariable Calculus fit-is it part of 1, 2, or 3, or is it seperate? Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
d_leet
Dec23-05, 02:53 PM
P: 1,076
Quote Quote by mewhoexactlywhat
Can anyone tell me how James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition) is divided into Calculus 1, 2, and 3 (which chapters belong to each subject)?
I've heard that it contains all three but I cannot see any clear division. Also, where does multivariable Calculus fit-is it part of 1, 2, or 3, or is it seperate? Thank you.
The way my college does it, up to chapter 5 and maybe a little of 6 is Calculus 1. Calc 2 is where 1 left off either 6 or 7 until chapter 11. Then Calc 3 nearly finishes the book, chapters 12 through 16.
mewhoexactlywhat
Dec23-05, 08:34 PM
P: 44
Thank you.

Nothing000
Jan4-06, 02:40 PM
P: 442

James Stewart's Calculus (Fourth Edition)

What material is in these chapters d_leet? My calc 1 class finished chapter 6 and that is where we stopped. I am thinking that calc 2 will go from ch. 7 all the way through ch. 12. And I think that my calc 3 class will be the rest of the book. I have the fifth edition though. Here is the way the chapters are set up for 5e:
1 - Functions and Models
2 - Limits and Rate of Change
3 - Derivatives
4 - Applications of Differentiation
5 - Integrals
6 - Applications of Integration
7 - Inverse Functions
8 - Techniques of Integration
9 - Further Applications of Integration
10 - Differential Equations
11 - Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates
12 - Infinite Sequences and Series
13 - Vectors and the Geometry of Space
14 - Vector Functions
15 - Partial Derivatives
16 - Multiple Integrals
17 - Vector Calculus
18 - Second Order Differential Equations
dicerandom
Jan4-06, 02:49 PM
P: 308
We used this book in my calculus classes (the 4th edition, though). The topics covered were...

Calc 1:
Quote Quote by Nothing000
1 - Functions and Models
2 - Limits and Rate of Change
3 - Derivatives
4 - Applications of Differentiation
5 - Integrals
Calc 2:
5 - Integrals
6 - Applications of Integration
7 - Inverse Functions
8 - Techniques of Integration
9 - Further Applications of Integration
10 - Differential Equations
11 - Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates
12 - Infinite Sequences and Series
Calc 3:
13 - Vectors and the Geometry of Space
14 - Vector Functions
15 - Partial Derivatives
16 - Multiple Integrals
17 - Vector Calculus
Note that Chapter 5 was in both Calc 1 and 2, Calc 1 ended with the FTC and some basic integration, Calc 2 started up at the same point. The multivariable stuff really starts in Chapter 15.
Nothing000
Jan4-06, 02:52 PM
People always say that Calc 2 is the hardest, and it at your school this is definetely the case!
dicerandom
Jan4-06, 02:56 PM
P: 308
People always say that Calc 2 is the hardest, and it at your school this is definetely the case!
Well I took Calc in college, but 3 was the hardest. For the first two weeks the prof lectured on the properties of vector spaces using as much greek shorthand as he could manage. Scared people out of their wits, about 1/4 the class dropped in the first two weeks and then he continued on with the rest of the class doing perfectly normal lectures with basically no greek shorthand at all. I think he thought there were too many people in the class.
Nothing000
Jan4-06, 03:09 PM
I think that is pretty common for professors to try to scare the student in the first couple of weeks. That way they are only left with the people that are there to really learn. My chemistry professor did that. The class started out with 270 students and ended with around 100 students.
d_leet
Jan4-06, 08:08 PM
P: 1,076
Quote Quote by dicerandom
Well I took Calc in college, but 3 was the hardest. For the first two weeks the prof lectured on the properties of vector spaces using as much greek shorthand as he could manage. Scared people out of their wits, about 1/4 the class dropped in the first two weeks and then he continued on with the rest of the class doing perfectly normal lectures with basically no greek shorthand at all. I think he thought there were too many people in the class.
My calc 3 teacher wasn't quote as hard core as yours was, but I agree that calc 3 was harder than 2.
Nothing000
Jan4-06, 09:05 PM
I hope so, because I am taking calc 2 this semester.
KingBigness
Sep13-11, 08:25 AM
P: 94
I know this is a really really old thread but has anyone by chance got the solution manual to this book? Been looking for it everywhere, would be extremely handy for study.
KingBigness
Sep13-11, 05:07 PM
P: 94
Why would my teacher suggest 4E when it's up to 7E?

Register to reply