Register to reply

A good quantum mechanics book for the self-learner?

by Moneer81
Tags: book, mechanics, quantum, selflearner
Share this thread:
Moneer81
Jan20-06, 03:22 AM
P: 155
Hi,
I am sure the topic of quantum mechanics books has been discussed many times, so excuse me if I am asking questions that already have been answered. I am trying to teach myself quantum mechanics so I am looking for a book that would take me through the subject step by step, kinda like John R Taylor's Classical Mechanics if anyone heard of it. I bought "quantum mechanics demystified" a book from the "Demystified" series because I thought it would approach the subject in a slower pace but it was very frustrating because the author made a lot of assumptions and skipped a lot of things, it is more of a review book for those who already know QM.
Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
inha
Jan20-06, 08:55 AM
P: 576
How much mathematics do you know?
matrixx333
Jan20-06, 10:10 AM
P: 16
Moneer81,

I am currently on the same quest as you, I am trying to teach myself quantum mechanics. Inha has a very important question as mathematics is the core of the subject we are attempting to teach ourselves.

What I am currently doing is learning mathematics from the "Schaum's Outline" series first reviewing college algebra, then trigonometry, then I am going to move onto calculus.

I have a few web resources that are currently helping me along as well:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/

I don't know if you already know introductory physics, if so then these links obviously aren't for you. I am going from scratch :) Hope this helps.

neurocomp2003
Jan20-06, 12:06 PM
P: 1,373
A good quantum mechanics book for the self-learner?

griffiths.
Moneer81
Jan20-06, 12:41 PM
P: 155
I know enough mathematics I think (Calculus I, II, III, Diff eq, linear algebra) and I've had all the introductory physics and some advanced physics too.

Is Griffiths the same author of Introduction to Electrodynamics? because I wasn't a big fan of that book. Or is it written differently with more explanations and step by step instructions? I also heard that he is on the GRE committee so it might be worthwhile to get used to his questions and read his book.
Son Goku
Jan22-06, 06:46 AM
P: 89
I'd have to say that my favourite so far has been "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar.
It reads like an up to date version of Dirac's old monograph of the same name.
ironcross77
Feb1-06, 11:09 PM
P: 22
I prefer sakurai 'modern quantum mechanics'
chroot
Feb2-06, 03:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Another vote for Griffiths.

- Warren
G.F.Again
Feb22-06, 02:30 AM
P: n/a
Quantum Theory: Concepts and Methods by Asher Peres will help you, I think.
rachmaninoff
Feb22-06, 09:45 PM
Quote Quote by G.F.Again
Quantum Theory: Concepts and Methods by Asher Peres will help you, I think.
I highly doubt that - it's a graduate level textbook that explores foundational issues in QM, it's not even comprehensive. I just ordered it yesterday in fact - it keeps getting cited by papers on entanglement, I believe it has a lot of very recent stuff in it.

Quote Quote by the publisher
The first chapters introduce formal tools: the mathematics are precise, but not excessively abstract. The physical interpretation too is rigorous. It makes no use of the uncertainty principle of other ill-defined notions. The central part of the book is devoted to Bell's theorem and to the Kochen-Specker theorem. It is here that quantum phenomena depart most radically from classical physics. There has recently been considerable progress on these issues, and the latest developments have been included. The final chapters discuss further topics of current research: spacetime symmetries, quantum thermodynamics and information theory, semiclassical methods, irreversibility, quantum chaos, and especially the measuring process. In particular, it is shown how modern techniques allow the extraction of more information from a physical system than traditional measurement methods. For physicists, mathematicians and philosophers of science with an interest in the applications and foundations of quantum theory. The volume is suitable as a supplementary graduate textbook.
source
rachmaninoff
Feb22-06, 09:57 PM
Typical introductory texts on QM are -

D. Griffiths
A.P. French & E.F. Taylor
R. Shankar
S. Gasiorowicz
H. Ohanian

All are available at Amazon, or any half-decent university library.
Manchot
Feb22-06, 11:16 PM
P: 728
I also vote for Griffiths.
dicerandom
Feb24-06, 10:38 PM
P: 308
I'm currently enrolled in the 3rd quarter of a year-long upper division QM sequence, we used Liboff. I do not reccomend that book. I've had a chance to read through some of Griffiths and Gasiorowicz, both of them are better than Liboff in my opinion although I prefer Griffiths. I also used Griffiths' E&M book for upper division E&M, I find his QM book to be more likable than the E&M one.

I also have a copy of Shankar, although I consider that to be more graduate level than any of the three I mentioned above. I like what I've read in it though, I'm planning on working through it over the summer.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb25-06, 06:01 AM
P: 2,179
I have a strong background in mathematics. For this reason, my tastes may differ from yours. I read Dirac and liked it the best. However, it contains no exercises. I read Liboff, and liked it the least. It seems to have no unifying theme. I am currently reading Shankar and I like it very much. As Son Goku pointed out, it seems heavily influenced by Dirac's book. One theme that runs through Shankar's book is that of the propagator. Liboff mentions it on one page, but doesn't use it for anything. Also, Shankar has chapters on Feynman path integrals. I believe these two concepts are valuable for future learning. On the other hand, Liboff covers more topics. I never looked at Griffiths' book, but I gather it is more to the explaination side than the math side. Perhaps if you have time to read more than one, it would be good to start with Griffiths.

Visit my web page www.erratapage.com for errata pages on any book.
anjor
Feb25-06, 06:05 AM
P: 23
Well.. i got 3 personal favorites.
Before attempting to even start the subject, one can read "Alice in quantumland". It gives one a feel of the subject... an awesome read!
After reading that, now i have started really teaching myself the subject. My method of studying is - reading schiff, keeping Feynman lectures at side.
robphy
Feb26-06, 02:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,119
These books, "Understanding [More] Quantum Physics" by Morrison,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0137479085
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0139283005
might be a good stepping stone for the self-learner
to the more advanced QM texts.
anjor
Mar13-07, 12:26 PM
P: 23
changing my opinion...
sakurai and shankar now!
G01
Mar13-07, 12:33 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
I vote for Griffiths. I'm currently teaching myself out of that book and I like the way its written, though you may want to get a book of problems with solutions as well, if your looking for walkthroughs for alot of problems. The only problem with Griffith's is that he has a less than average amount of examples.

Register to reply