Find the area of a leaf of gold

• Thread starter blanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Gold
In summary, Gold, which has a mass of 19.32g for each cubic centimeter of volume, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber.
blanny
Gold, which has a mass of 19.32g for each cubic centimeter of volume, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber.

a) If the sample of Gold, with a mass of 27.63 g is pressed into a leaf of 1.000 micrometer thickness, what is the area of the leaf?

Would it be correct to use 27.63g / 19.32g = cubic centimeters? I don't think this would be right because it doesn't take into account the 1.000 micrometer...

b) If, instead the Gold is drawn into a cylindrical fiber with radius 2.500 micrometers, what is the length of the fiber?

What equations would I need to solve this problem? Thanks, this problem has been really bugging me.

blanny

Physics news on Phys.org
Avoid being sloppy with units: grams divided grams is dimensionless.

Given the density and the mass you can determine the volume of the gold (again, watch those units!). The principle you seem to be missing is that the volume of the gold remains unchanged. In (a) the product of the thickness times the area is the volume and in (b) the cross-sectional area of the cylinder times its length is also the volume.

blanny said:
Would it be correct to use 27.63g / 19.32g = cubic centimeters?
Yes and no. Look at your units.

27.63g / 19.32 g, the grams cancel and you're left with a unitless number of 1.430

But 19.32 is not grams. It is "grams for each cubic centimeter" or g/cc aka g/cm^3

Use the correct units and look at the units in your answer:

27.63g / (19.32 g/cc) . The grams cancel. The cc is the denominator of a denominator, which puts it in the numerator, and you get 1.430 cc.

So you were correct in your assumption that the answer would yield cubic centimeters.

Additional formulas needed:

Area: length x width
Volume: length x width x height
or since lenth x width = area
Volume = area x height

for part b you will need the formula for volume of a cylinder:
area of a circle x height
area of a circle = pi x radius^2

Last edited:
Tide beat me to it in pointing out your units :rolleyes:
You got to love this forum! Welcome.

What is the formula for finding the area of a leaf of gold?

The formula for finding the area of a leaf of gold is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the leaf.

How do I measure the radius of a leaf of gold?

To measure the radius of a leaf of gold, take a ruler or measuring tape and place it at the center of the leaf. Measure from the center to the edge of the leaf to find the radius.

Can I use the same formula for any shape of leaf of gold?

No, the formula A = πr² is specifically for calculating the area of a circular leaf of gold. For other shapes, you will need to use different formulas such as the formula for finding the area of a rectangle or triangle.

Can I use any units of measurement to find the area of a leaf of gold?

Yes, as long as you use the same units for both the radius and the area, you can use any unit of measurement. However, it is recommended to use units that are commonly used for measuring length, such as centimeters or inches.

What are some real-life applications of finding the area of a leaf of gold?

Finding the area of a leaf of gold can be useful in jewelry making, as it can help determine the amount of gold needed for a specific design. It can also be used in scientific research to study the properties of gold and its applications in various industries.