Register to reply

3 equations, 3 unknowns, how do i solve ?

by bjr_jyd15
Tags: equations, solve, unknowns
Share this thread:
bjr_jyd15
Jan27-06, 07:37 PM
P: 75
hi everyone, i have 3 equations and 3 unknowns:

x = (a/b) + c
y = (a/(b+1)) + c
z = (a/(b+7)) + c

where x, y, z are given in the problem (real #'s), and we need to find the values of a, b, and c.

can anyone tell me how to go about this problem? i tried rigourous algebra of solving and substituting but it became too difficult to isolate one of the variables a, b, or c.

thank you in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
StatusX
Jan27-06, 07:42 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,566
Multiply both sides by the denominator of the fraction. Then, define d=bc. You'll have three linear equations for a,b,d, and at the end you can get c from d and b.
bjr_jyd15
Jan27-06, 07:47 PM
hmm i'm not sure i follow. so would i have xb = a + bc ? and then replace bc with d? how do i go from there then when i have xb = a + d?

thanks

StatusX
Jan27-06, 07:54 PM
HW Helper
3 equations, 3 unknowns, how do i solve ?

Right, do that for all three equations, and then you'll have linear equations (since x,y,z are constants). These should be easy to solve. If you know linear algebra, that helps, but if not, it's just straightforward eliminating variables.
bjr_jyd15
Jan27-06, 08:04 PM
okay so i have

bx = a + d
by + y = a + d + c
bz + 7z = a + d + 7c

where x,y,z are #'s and d=bc...
if i want to put this in a matrix, is it possible? because i see the b's on the left side of the equation that are unknown...

thank you for your patience.
StatusX
Jan27-06, 08:14 PM
HW Helper
Sorry, I kinda rushed through this before and made a mistake. You probably didn't need to introduce d. But it doesn't really matter, and it'll still work if you use the first equation to plug in bx for a+d in the other two equations. This will eliminate a in both of them, and that will leave you two linear equations for b and c. Just group all the b's and c's on one side.
bjr_jyd15
Jan27-06, 08:41 PM
so now i have two linear equations:

by - bx = c -y
bz - bx = 7c - 7z

which i'm not sure how set up from there as a linear eqn...should i factor a b out of the left side of the first equation then divide? please let me know!

thanks
jtbell
Jan27-06, 08:58 PM
Mentor
P: 11,630
You now have two equations in two unknowns (b and c). You've done that sort of thing before, right?

For example, you could solve one equation for c and substitute it for c in the other one. Then you have a single equation for b only. Solve it. Then substitute your solution for b back into one of those two equations. Either one will work. Solve for c. Finally, take your solutions for b and c and substitute them back into one of your original equations. Any one of them will work. Solve for a.
VietDao29
Jan27-06, 09:05 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,421
Quote Quote by bjr_jyd15
so now i have two linear equations:

by - bx = c -y
bz - bx = 7c - 7z

which i'm not sure how set up from there as a linear eqn...should i factor a b out of the left side of the first equation then divide? please let me know!

thanks
You know, x, y, z. Rearrange a bit gives:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} (x - y)b + c = y \\ (x - z)b + 7c = 7z \end{array} \right.[/tex]
Now that you have your matrix. You can go from here, right?
bjr_jyd15
Jan27-06, 10:23 PM
thank you all for your help--it's appreciated!!!
abszero
Jan27-06, 10:56 PM
P: 49
Quote Quote by StatusX
Multiply both sides by the denominator of the fraction. Then, define d=bc. You'll have three linear equations for a,b,d, and at the end you can get c from d and b.
Be double careful that you don't multiply by zero and stumble across a solution that actually does not exist.

Register to reply