Register to reply

What do you do if your exact equation isn't exact? and they give u an Integrating F

by mr_coffee
Tags: equation, exact, integrating
Share this thread:
mr_coffee
Feb1-06, 03:57 PM
P: 1,629
Hello everyone I understand how to solve exact equations, but what happens when they arnt' exact? I'm confused on what i'm suppose to do! Does anyone feel like explaning hte process to me, if given an integrating factor/> or give me a website? Here is my problem:
Check that the equation below is not exact but becomes exact when multiplied by the integrating factor.

Integrating Factor:

Solve the differential equation.
You can define the solution curve implicitly by a function in the form

?

Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
HallsofIvy
Feb1-06, 04:45 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,490
Do you understand what an "integrating factor" is?

If a differential equation is not exact then there always exists some function f(x,y) so that multiplying the equation by it makes it exact. Unfortunately, it's most often very difficult (if not impossible) to find that integrating factor!

In this case your equation is x2y3dx+ x(1+ y2)dy= 0. Yes, that is NOT exact because (x2y3)[sub]y[sub]= 3x[sup]2[sup]y2 which is not the same as (x(1+ y2))x= 1+y2.

Fortunately, you were told that [itex]\frac{1}{xy^3}[/itex] is an integrating factor. That means that multiplying the equation by that:
(1/xy2){x2y3dx+ x(1+y2)dy
= ydx+ (1+y2)y2)dy= 0.

Is that exact? It certainly should be! If it is exact can you solve it?
mr_coffee
Feb2-06, 07:37 PM
P: 1,629
OOoo!!! Awesome, thanks alot IVEY as always! It worked great! I got:

Register to reply