Register to reply

Purdue vs. Illinois

by ludi_srbin
Tags: illinois, purdue
Share this thread:
ludi_srbin
Mar10-06, 08:59 PM
P: 138
Hi, I got accepted to Purdue and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, both in Electrical Engineering. Now it it would be time to decide which one to pick, and I have some trouble doing that. I mean I'm mostly interested in studying Power Engineering and maybe minor in physics. So I would like to ask if anyone here can help me out and give some suggestions, because I'm stuck and unable to decide.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
alfredblase
Mar10-06, 09:19 PM
P: 230
have you considered which city you would prefer to live in?
ludi_srbin
Mar10-06, 09:21 PM
Quote Quote by alfredblase
have you considered which city you would prefer to live in?
I didn't visit any of the two cities so I cannot make a judgment on that, but in any case academics is what I'm primarly interested in.

leright
Mar10-06, 11:27 PM
P: 1,194
Purdue vs. Illinois

Quote Quote by ludi_srbin
Hi, I got accepted to Purdue and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, both in Electrical Engineering. Now it it would be time to decide which one to pick, and I have some trouble doing that. I mean I'm mostly interested in studying Power Engineering and maybe minor in physics. So I would like to ask if anyone here can help me out and give some suggestions, because I'm stuck and unable to decide.
Why do you want to study power engineering? I hate to rain on your parade, but the work is boring, and there isn't much opportunity in power. Most of the power engineering students end up working in electronics. You might as well study electronics.
leright
Mar10-06, 11:29 PM
P: 1,194
Quote Quote by ludi_srbin
I didn't visit any of the two cities so I cannot make a judgment on that, but in any case academics is what I'm primarly interested in.
Well, both schools are great academically. You wouldn't go wrong with either choice. However, the city the school is located and the feel of the school itself are both very important factors. You need to visit both schools to make a good decision.
ludi_srbin
Mar11-06, 12:49 PM
Quote Quote by leright
Why do you want to study power engineering? I hate to rain on your parade, but the work is boring, and there isn't much opportunity in power. Most of the power engineering students end up working in electronics. You might as well study electronics.
Well my problem with electronics is that the stuff you do is small and you don't see much, while the power engineering is a lot about the generators, and power plants, and big stuff. I think it is fair to say that I'm more interested in the physics of electricism and electromagnetism, but I don't want to find myself not being able to get PhD. in Physics and end up just with a undergradueate degree. So engineering comes like a back up. To secure myself in a financial way, and if I do well in college I can continue on with education, if I do bad at least I got engineering degree and can make a very nice living.
ludi_srbin
Mar11-06, 12:50 PM
Quote Quote by leright
Well, both schools are great academically. You wouldn't go wrong with either choice. However, the city the school is located and the feel of the school itself are both very important factors. You need to visit both schools to make a good decision.
Yeah, I will visit both of them by the May 1.
dav2008
Apr1-06, 06:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 621
I visited these two schools and I just liked the feel of Illinois better. That and it's in-state so it was a lot cheaper than Purdue for virtually the same education. If you have any questions about Illinois feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can answer them.
mrchainsaw
Apr2-06, 08:36 PM
P: 10
I live in Champaign-Urbana and I love the place. The U of I has a great engineering school, I believe it's ranked as one of the best in the US. If you have any questions about Champaign or Urbana, feel free to ask.
Manchot
Apr2-06, 08:45 PM
P: 728
Quote Quote by mrchainsaw
I live in Champaign-Urbana and I love the place. The U of I has a great engineering school, I believe it's ranked as one of the best in the US. If you have any questions about Champaign or Urbana, feel free to ask.
I also live in Champaign, and honestly, I don't like the place. At all. Though its engineering department is excellent, the school as a whole is very much centered around drinking, and the atmosphere reflects that.
mrchainsaw
Apr2-06, 08:49 PM
Quote Quote by Manchot
I also live in Champaign, and honestly, I don't like the place. At all. Though its engineering department is excellent, the school as a whole is very much centered around drinking, and the atmosphere reflects that.
What are you talking about? There isn't more drinking at the U of I than there is at any other university. Plus there's only like 2 good bars. Topic creator, don't pay any attention to this post. There isn't an abnormal amount of drinking there and the atmosphere is just fine.
dav2008
Apr2-06, 08:58 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Manchot
The school is not centered around drinking at all. I mean you make it seem like people drink in class. The school part of it is completely separate from the drinking/parties.

Again I don't see why it makes a difference. If you want to go out drinking you have that option. If not there are plenty of other people with whom you can do something besides getting wasted.
Manchot
Apr2-06, 09:17 PM
I mean you make it seem like people drink in class.
Should I mention Unofficial?

What are you talking about? There isn't more drinking at the U of I than there is at any other university. Plus there's only like 2 good bars. Topic creator, don't pay any attention to this post. There isn't an abnormal amount of drinking there and the atmosphere is just fine.
You have your opinion, I have mine. I admit, I don't exactly know how much partying goes on at other schools. However, Illinois often lands on the top party school rankings, and I would assume that that is pretty objective.
mrchainsaw
Apr2-06, 09:25 PM
Quote Quote by Manchot
I admit, I don't exactly know how much partying goes on at other schools. However, Illinois often lands on the top party school rankings, and I would assume that that is pretty objective.
Maybe you should visit other schools and realize that Illinois drinking is just like other universities.
dav2008
Apr2-06, 09:34 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Manchot
Should I mention Unofficial?

Ok well I'll give you that one day.

I'm just saying that it gives you options. If you go to a "party" school you have the choice of partying or not. If you go to a "boring" school then you have limited options. Plus like chainsaw said Illinois isn't a lot different from other schools.
mrchainsaw
Apr2-06, 09:38 PM
Yeah, Unofficial definitely did heavily involve lots of drinking, but that was one day.

Even if UI was a huge party school(which it isn't), YOU don't have to party or drink. That would only affect the students, not the professors or the quality of your education.
Manchot
Apr2-06, 10:12 PM
I'm just saying that it gives you options. If you go to a "party" school you have the choice of partying or not. If you go to a "boring" school then you have limited options. Plus like chainsaw said Illinois isn't a lot different from other schools.
Even if UI was a huge party school(which it isn't), YOU don't have to party or drink. That would only affect the students, not the professors or the quality of your education.
Ok, I see your point.
ludi_srbin
Apr5-06, 03:48 PM
Well, a just got into the University of Chicago, so I have some decisions to make. I'm still the closest to Illinois, because it has engineering and from what I hear here it is a nice school (I'm Serb so drinking part is a big plus in my world), but you know Fermi Lab and 26 Nober Prize Winners are big things to consider when making a choice. However the problem is paying for college. Can you all give me some information on their financial aid (I'm in North Carolina so I gotta pay like $33,000 a year). At Chicago they promise to meet 100% of demonstrated need. Does Illinois make sure financial aspect doesen't keep you out? Do I get instate status after first year?

Register to reply