Register to reply

Power generation and distribution

by fatima
Tags: distribution, generation, power
Share this thread:
fatima
Mar22-06, 07:35 PM
P: 2
i'm a lil confused bout whether we need the voltage and current to be out of phase or its something we just can't avoid..?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Eye implant could lead to better glaucoma treatment
Electricity helping the blind navigate
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules (Update)
dlgoff
Mar22-06, 08:04 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,720
Well, if I understand what you are asking; The phase shift between the voltage and current waves depends on the load of the system. With lots of motors, for example, you would need to add capacitance to keep the shift to a minimum. A measure of how well power gets transfered is called power factor.

Regards
chroot
Mar22-06, 08:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
For purely resistive loads, voltage and current are in-phase, and this is the ideal situation. Maximal power transfer to the load occurs in this condition.

In many situations, reactive (i.e. capacitive or inductive) loads are unavoidable, but they are not ideal.

- Warren

WFO
Mar23-06, 05:36 PM
P: 26
Power generation and distribution

Try re-phrasing the question.
Astronuc
Mar24-06, 02:27 PM
Admin
P: 21,869
Quote Quote by fatima
i'm a lil confused bout whether we need the voltage and current to be out of phase or its something we just can't avoid..?
For power generation using AC synchronous machines and the fact that transmission lines have inherent inductance (reactance), we simply cannot produce power without a phase difference between voltage and current.

As much as possible it is desirable to reduce reactance. One way to reduce reactance in a power line is to add capacitance to offset the inductance.
fatima
Mar25-06, 12:11 AM
P: 2
thanks for the help. i started the course with very little basics but i think i'm beginning to get the picture now. so, if there is no inductance (which 'pushes' the current back) both will be in the same phase right? as for passing a capacitor, the current leads the voltage because the charges move 'ahead' once there is sufficient voltage change, am i right?
WFO
Mar26-06, 07:46 PM
P: 26
Quote Quote by Astronuc
For power generation using AC synchronous machines and the fact that transmission lines have inherent inductance (reactance), we simply cannot produce power without a phase difference between voltage and current.

As much as possible it is desirable to reduce reactance. One way to reduce reactance in a power line is to add capacitance to offset the inductance.
While this is true, it is also true that extremely long transmission lines have capacitive reactance issues since each conductor serves as a "plate" of the capacitor and the air between is the dielectric.

Just muddying the water a little

Register to reply