Cantor's Infinity and the Concept of Sets: Understanding the Comparison of Sizes

• Thread starter SimonA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: Have you asked yourself why you think a quantity multiplied by itself cannot be negative? Can you give a logical reason why that should not happen?I don't think there is a logical reason why that should not happen - it's just a fact.
SimonA
I have tried to understand Cantors ideas of infinity, but they still don't make sense to me. If you use the mathematical concept of sets to investigate something like this - a 'value' that can't be written because it has no end - then surely the size of the set is what you are evaluating ? How does changing 'size' to 'order' suddenly make a comparison of individual component s result in something different from size ?

There seems to be a fundamental breakdown of logic. I don't mind that at all in mathematical terms. The square root of -1 is essentially illogical, but the reasoning behind it is solid. I love the very concept of complex numbers. But different sizes/orders of infinity seems plain crazy unless 'orders' describes rate of growth in terms of an individual comparison of members of the set. I honestly find it difficult, though it may be because I'm stupid, to understand how such a comparison of members can lead to a conclusion that one type of infinity is bigger than another. There seems to be an unwarrented assumption of an end point that makes no sense in terms of infinity. Infinity seems to be an absolute platonic concept. It just seems plain wrong to convert that concept into a relative one by cutting corners. Pure maths seems beautiful to me - Cantors infinities seem ugly.

What is it that I'm missing here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps that this has nothing to do with physics? And is it really homework?

Cantor's basic point is the we count things by going "1, 2, 3, ..."- that is by asserting a one-to-one correspondence to a set of natural numbers. All he did was use that as a definition of "counting" (strictly speaking "cardinality") and accept the consequences of that definition. If you don't like the consequences, suggest a different "counting" concept that still corresponds exactly to what we do for finite sets.

"The square root of -1 is essentially illogical"

No it is not. Why do you think that?

Hi HOI

HallsofIvy said:
Perhaps that this has nothing to do with physics? And is it really homework?

Not at all - where should I post these questions ? Though it is related to physics.

Cantor's basic point is the we count things by going "1, 2, 3, ..."- that is by asserting a one-to-one correspondence to a set of natural numbers. All he did was use that as a definition of "counting" (strictly speaking "cardinality") and accept the consequences of that definition. If you don't like the consequences, suggest a different "counting" concept that still corresponds exactly to what we do for finite sets.

Is there an end to the number of members in any set with infinite members ? If not - how is countability relevant to a totalal quality of a set ? Or do you deny that there is any perceived relationship between size and cardinality ?

arildno said:
"The square root of -1 is essentially illogical"

No it is not. Why do you think that?

I actually said that I thought there was value in thinking of the square root of -1. The fact it is essentially illogical is not a problem to me - in fact I think its brilliant. But I'm using reason - in purely logical terms it is illogical. Unless you know of some natural form of logic where a quantity multiplied by itself can be negative ?

SimonA said:
Unless you know of some natural form of logic where a quantity multiplied by itself can be negative ?
Sure, depends on what you mean with "quantity" and "multiplication", though.

But I'm using reason - in purely logical terms it is illogical. Unless you know of some natural form of logic where a quantity multiplied by itself can be negative ?
Have you asked yourself why you think a quantity multiplied by itself cannot be negative? Can you give a logical reason why that should not happen?

The logical reason a real number multiplied by itself cannot be negative is because you can prove that based upon the axioms we've set forth that define the real numbers.

Not all of those axioms are true for the complex numbers. :-p

Related to Cantor's Infinity and the Concept of Sets: Understanding the Comparison of Sizes

What is Cantor's Infinity?

Cantor's Infinity refers to the mathematical concept developed by Georg Cantor in the late 19th century. It is based on the idea that there are different sizes or "cardinalities" of infinite sets, and that some infinities are larger than others.

How did Cantor prove the existence of different sizes of infinity?

Cantor used a technique called diagonalization to prove that the set of real numbers is larger than the set of natural numbers. He also showed that the set of rational numbers is the same size as the set of natural numbers, but smaller than the set of real numbers. These proofs were groundbreaking and revolutionized our understanding of infinity.

What is the concept of sets?

Sets are collections of objects or elements that share a common characteristic. In mathematics, sets are often represented by curly braces and contain a list of elements. The concept of sets is essential in understanding Cantor's Infinity as it allows us to compare the sizes of different infinite sets.

Why is understanding Cantor's Infinity important?

Cantor's Infinity has had a significant impact on mathematics and other fields such as philosophy and physics. It has challenged our understanding of infinity and has led to the development of new branches of mathematics, such as set theory and transfinite arithmetic. Understanding Cantor's Infinity also has practical applications, such as in computer science and cryptography.

Are there any controversies surrounding Cantor's Infinity?

Yes, there have been and continue to be debates and controversies surrounding Cantor's Infinity. Some mathematicians and philosophers argue that his concept of different sizes of infinity is counterintuitive and goes against traditional mathematical principles. Others defend Cantor's work and believe it has opened up new possibilities in mathematics. The controversy surrounding Cantor's Infinity is ongoing and reflects the complexity and depth of his ideas.