Simple Harmonic Motion of a plank of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular frequency of a horizontal plank with a spring support, given its mass and length. The solution involves using equations for net torque and second derivative of theta, and eventually relating x to theta to extract the angular frequency. The formula for angular velocity mentioned in the conversation is incorrect due to incorrect units.
Mishy
I don't understand the solution to the following problem:

A horizontal plank of mass m and length L is pivoted at one end. The plank's other end is supported by a spring of force constant k. The moment of inertia of the plank about the pivot is (1/3)m(L^2). The plank is displaced by a small angle theta from its horizontal equilibrium position. Show that it moves with simple harmonic motion with angular frequency omega = square root (3k/m).

Here is my work:
net torque = I[I]*alpha [/I]
net torque = (1/3)m(L^2)*alpha
kxd = (1/3)m(L^2)*(second derivative of theta)
x is the vertical distance from the horizontal equilibrium position.
kxLsin(theta) = (1/3)m(L^2)*(second derivative of theta)
kxL(theta) / (mL^2) = second derivative of theta
because theta is small, sin(theta) = theta
kx(theta)/ mL = second derivative of theta
using this, I would get omega as the square root of (3k/mL)
How do I get rid of that L in my formula for omega? Where was I supposed to drop it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for angular velocity can't be right because it doesn't have the right units to be an angular velocity. So what did you do wrong?

You have this equation [tex] \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = \frac{3 k }{m L} x [/tex], but you can't just conclude that everything in front of the x is equal to [tex] \omega^2 [/tex]. To see why not, think about the units. What you need to do is relate x to [tex] \theta [/tex], then try to extract the angular frequency.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

I can provide an explanation and solution to your problem. First, let's start by understanding what simple harmonic motion is. It is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. This results in a sinusoidal motion with a constant amplitude and frequency.

In this problem, we have a horizontal plank that is pivoted at one end and supported by a spring at the other end. The plank is displaced by a small angle theta from its horizontal equilibrium position. To show that it moves with simple harmonic motion, we need to prove that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction.

Let's start by looking at the forces acting on the plank. We have the weight of the plank acting downwards, the normal force from the pivot acting upwards, and the spring force acting in the opposite direction of the displacement. Since the plank is horizontal, we can ignore the weight and normal force and focus on the spring force.

The spring force can be represented by Hooke's Law, F = -kx, where k is the force constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. In this case, x is the vertical distance from the horizontal equilibrium position. Now, let's look at the moment of inertia of the plank about the pivot. It is given by (1/3)m(L^2), where m is the mass of the plank and L is its length.

Using Newton's Second Law for rotational motion, we can write the equation for the net torque acting on the plank as I*alpha, where I is the moment of inertia and alpha is the angular acceleration. Substituting the values, we get:

kxLsin(theta) = (1/3)m(L^2)*alpha

Now, for small angles, we can approximate sin(theta) as theta. This is known as the small angle approximation. Using this, we get:

kxL(theta) = (1/3)m(L^2)*alpha

We also know that alpha is equal to the second derivative of theta with respect to time. So, we can rewrite the equation as:

kxL(theta) = (1/3)m(L^2)*(second derivative of theta)

Now, we need to solve for the angular frequency, omega. To do this, we need to get rid of the L in the equation. We can do this

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a constant period and amplitude. This motion is described by a sine or cosine function.

2. How is the period of a plank of mass in simple harmonic motion determined?

The period of a plank of mass in simple harmonic motion is determined by the length of the plank and the acceleration due to gravity. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the plank, and k is the spring constant.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion is affected by the initial displacement of the object from its equilibrium point, the mass of the object, and the force acting on the object. A larger initial displacement or a larger mass will result in a larger amplitude, while a larger force will result in a smaller amplitude.

4. How does the mass of the plank affect its motion in simple harmonic motion?

The mass of the plank affects the motion in simple harmonic motion by changing the period and amplitude of the motion. A heavier plank will have a longer period and a larger amplitude, while a lighter plank will have a shorter period and a smaller amplitude.

5. Can a plank of mass in simple harmonic motion ever come to a complete stop?

Yes, a plank of mass in simple harmonic motion can come to a complete stop if the amplitude decreases to 0. This can occur if the energy of the system is dissipated, for example through friction or air resistance. However, the period of the motion will remain constant as long as the plank is in motion.