by Ivan Seeking
Tags: china, firewall
Ivan Seeking
Apr18-06, 09:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Will China be able to hold back the age of information?

...He went to an Internet bar, just typed in two words, "Falun Gong." Instantly, the sirens went off. And then the police came in front of him within one minute. So that's how bad it is, because they have the ways to monitor what people are doing on the Internet, especially in the Internet bar. [continued]
However, I see no way to keep a lid on the internet. Already the Chinese find themselves in a race to keep ahead of technology that bypasses Chinese filters. And there are additional pressures as well.

I think the solution for the whole business community, to really know that it's not that they need China, but China needs them, too. They need to stick to all of us in the international business community, to stick to our principles, you know, the freedom and the democracy, and that way we can slowly force China to change, rather than China changing us.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia/...hina_4-18.html
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Pengwuino
Apr18-06, 09:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
If the Chinese government is anything like ours, they won't be able to keep up with technology and hackers.
Astronuc
Apr22-06, 10:21 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
...He went to an Internet bar, just typed in two words, "Falun Gong." Instantly, the sirens went off.
That could be fun.

Something to look forward to the next time I go to China.

-Job-
Apr22-06, 10:24 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,132

The Great Firewall of China

It would be terribly easy to "frame" someone then.
scott1
Apr22-06, 11:32 PM
P: 459
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
If the Chinese government is anything like ours, they won't be able to keep up with technology and hackers.
Of cource not.I wonder if the goverment is hireing hackers to destroy the great firewall of china.Weren't trying to recurit hackers defcon?
Ivan Seeking
Apr23-06, 05:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Quote Quote by Astronuc
That could be fun.

Something to look forward to the next time I go to China.
It's good to know that you find humor in oppression.
Astronuc
Apr25-06, 06:36 AM
Admin
P: 21,634
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
It's good to know that you find humor in oppression.
It's a way to fight the system. I am sure the authorities would be really pissed.

It is better to be subtle and maneuver under their radar screen, rather than direct confrontation.
Anttech
Apr25-06, 03:50 PM
P: 1,401
This is why China is moving away from the IETF DNS specification's and will implement its own root domains. Right Now China has to allow everything and then block what they dont want joe blogs to see. When they implement there own dns roots they can block everything and allow what they want joe blogs to see... It will more or less "Break" the internet, and sandbox China...
Mercatoreador
Apr30-06, 10:57 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by Anttech
This is why China is moving away from the IETF DNS specification's and will implement its own root domains. Right Now China has to allow everything and then block what they dont want joe blogs to see. When they implement there own dns roots they can block everything and allow what they want joe blogs to see... It will more or less "Break" the internet, and sandbox China...
What about satelites? They are illegal for private use in China too, but widespread. I would like to know how to use satelites for internet connection.

Register to reply