View Poll Results: Do you talk to yourself?
Yes, all the time 47 69.12%
On the rare occasion 16 23.53%
Never 3 4.41%
Only when I'm at my computer 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Do you talk to yourself?

by Physics is Phun
Tags: talk
Physics is Phun
Apr20-06, 08:01 AM
P: 94
Maybe i'm just crazy, but I seem to be talking to myself more and more lately. Usually it's to beat myself up about something, or going over conversations I've recently had.
I imagine anyone who sees me on the street would think I'm a little insane
I also talk to/ yell at my computer a lot. which I think is perfectly normal, bu this one girl at my work always thinks i'm crazy whenever I do it
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Schrodinger's Dog
Apr20-06, 10:41 AM
P: 1,142
I've been talking to myself since I was a kid, to be honest it's the only way to get into an intelligent converstion, anyway now that the crap joke is out of my head.

Yes I do and oddly I mostly talk about my dog in conversation with myself. Why I'm not sure ATM, but to discuss with myself the finer points of why he is just a robotic device designed purely for barking at people for no apparent reason is the height of my own personal "dialogue", at the moment; it's not an indication of insanity it simply helps you to work out ideas audibly that are so interesting or even troubling so regularly on your mind that they leak out from your conciousness into the real world.

I believe the last topic of conversation before my dogs obvious inability to not bark at doddering old ladies two hundred yards away, who are no threat to anyone was: why my cat was so bloody evil. But the dichotomies of good and evil(as they apply to animal without the ability to know the difference, or did he?) Are but some of the wierd and wonderful areas of discussion I get to to talk to myself about, I personally think it's an indication of a creative mind. My imagination tends to spill out of my head and I find wierd and wonderful things to talk about that frankly most other people would not understand if you see what I mean.

Whether I should be institutionalised is another matter, people on hearing me talking to myself have told me that I have lost it, to which I reply: lost what, I don't think I ever had it and anyway what is it and do I want it
cronxeh
Apr20-06, 10:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
I found it to be a real indication of deeper intelligence to have an inner voice

Everybody talks to themselves - its the only way to have an intelligent conversation, right?

SpaceTiger
Apr20-06, 11:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977

Do you talk to yourself?

Rarely out loud. If I'm sitting alone and my lips are moving, it's much more likely I'm singing than talking. I talk to myself in my head, though.
BryanP
Apr20-06, 11:21 AM
P: 205
I lecture a lot to myself when I'm trying to make sure I understand something (like how you would if you were to explain something to someone you didn't know). That is the only time I talk to myself though. However, these lectures can last quite a long time. :(
Garth
Apr20-06, 11:25 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,273
Quote Quote by Physics is Phun
Maybe i'm just crazy, but I seem to be talking to myself more and more lately.
You are only crazy when you start getting answers!

Garth
-Job-
Apr20-06, 12:16 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,132
Quote Quote by Garth
You are only crazy when you start getting answers!

Garth
That's bad news for me.
Sisyphus
Apr20-06, 12:28 PM
P: 61
only when I'm stressed out
BobG
Apr20-06, 12:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Yes, but I do try to limit the number of hand gestures I use while talking to myself - especially while in the car where I tend to forget the person in the next lane over can see me (a few rythmic head bobs from side to side as if I'm just getting carried away by the tune on the radio usually calms his fears).
Physics is Phun
Apr20-06, 12:41 PM
P: 94
yeah, I mean outloud. maybe only mumbling, or mouthing. Anything physically seeable basically.
I usually am only mumbling to myself. I only ever really speak clearly when I'm really stessing about something.
Bladibla
Apr20-06, 04:21 PM
P: 366
I'm sorry, but who doesn't talk to themselves? I would find it more strange that people don't talk to themselves. Lets not glorify what is, normal habits for some people.
ranger
Apr20-06, 04:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,686
Mayb this is why people look at me strangely on the train. Only joking. I'm always talking to myself (in my head). In fact I find it hard to stop it.
hypatia
Apr20-06, 06:12 PM
P: 1,296
I talk to myself a lot. Of course I also talk to everything living..ok and maybe a few rocks too, but they are great rocks and I figure they have been around a long time and have heard it all befor.
turbo
Apr20-06, 06:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
I talk to the birds at the feeder, the squirrels under the feeder, and the TV (especially when politicians are lying to cover their butts). I might seem like I'm talking to myself if you see me mumbling in public, but it's likely because I am working out some lyrics to a song I am writing or learning. Usually I think to myself, except when it occurs to me that I have done something extremely stupid, and then I vocalize, but in explicatives.
Moonbear
Apr20-06, 08:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Do you mean out loud? I guess the time to worry is if you're having a full conversation with yourself. I mostly just mutter to myself when frustrated by something (it's about the only time I use expletives).
Pyrrhus
Apr20-06, 08:10 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,280
I discuss with myself concepts, and whenever i am analyzing.
Evo
Apr20-06, 08:47 PM
Mentor
P: 25,915
I always talk to myself. Sometimes outloud.

My kids get a kick out of the fact that I carry on conversations with animals. I answer for them. That's normal, I've seen people do it.
Gale
Apr20-06, 09:13 PM
P: 676
i talk to myself quite a lot in all sorts of situations. whenever i'm working on a math or physics problem, i do most of the thinking outloud. i think too fast if i do it in my head and i lose myself. i try to be quiet, but i'm always mumbling and chewing on a pen when i work, "2 plus.. no... i have to... yeah ok, that looks.. wait.. oh carry the 3... if i factor... then.. mm.. that looks wrong.. oh.. not 2, 4 plus... yeah..." if its a physics problem, my hands are usually trying to conceptualize things as well, its not my fault if we're working beside eachother and you get hit.

also, i pretend to talk on my cell phone a lot. i dunno... i just feel more comfortable sometimes if i'm on my phone. so i'll have long convos about whatever "hey sweetie... hm?... i know dear... oh jeeze... well how's karen?... aww...AHH!!... no, sorry, i just nearly tripped, i'm walking to class... hehe, i know huh.... i love you too... how about tomorrow?... ok dear..." now that i think of it, i really have no reason to do it...

oh, and when i get super upset, i always talk to myself, "its ok abby, it wasn't your fault" "what do you mean it wasn't your fault, of course it is!" "no, no, you just made a mistake, you'll do better next time!" "you always say that" "cause its true, you've been doing better" "barely.. i started out failing, not hard to do better than that" "well its hard for you, you're just not like everyone else" "yah, i suck" "you do not!!" "yah, i know... i just don't get why this is so hard for me" "i dunno, just keep trying, thats all you can do" "heh... i think i'm being a bit loud.. people are staring" "hehe, just get out your cell phone....."

other than that though, i don't really talk to myself at all.

Register to reply