Tags: home
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Apr22-06, 01:04 PM
Admin
P: 21,828
Woman to build house out of 747

Now how's that for recycling?

A California woman is going ahead with the construction of a house made of elements from a 747 Jumbo jet.

Francie Rehwald wanted her house to look "feminine", have curves and be eco-friendly. Her architect's answer was: "Let's use a 747!"

The wing of the Boeing jet will be used for the roof, its nose as a meditation temple while its trademark "bulge" will serve as a loft.

The plane's parts were obtained from an aeroplane scrap yard in California.

They cost around $100,000 (£56,000) to purchase, while the construction of the project, which is expected to start in June, is thought likely to cost several million dollars by the time it is completed.

Ms Rehwald's family owns one of California's largest Mercedes-Benz dealerships.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4926216.stm
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
matthyaouw
Apr22-06, 01:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
It should be well insulated at least....
scott1
Apr22-06, 03:37 PM
P: 459
It should be an airplane

Astronuc
Apr22-06, 03:51 PM
Admin
New Home out of a 747!

Quote Quote by scott1
It should be an airplane
If it is one of the original 747's, then it could be passed its airworthiness or design life.

There are several fields in California and Arizona where aged aircraft are stored - even some relatively young aircraft - simply because the owners cannot afford to operate them.
Moonbear
Apr22-06, 08:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Actually, looking at the drawing they show accompanying the article, I like the way it looks. It's very modern and open looking. If you didn't know it was designed with airplane parts, you wouldn't necessarily realize it when looking at the drawing. (Of course, I'm drooling more over the 55 acres of property part.)
wolram
Apr22-06, 08:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,682
Some people are bonkers, it looks more like a green house, i would not give tupence for it.
Moonbear
Apr22-06, 10:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by wolram
Some people are bonkers, it looks more like a green house, i would not give tupence for it.
Well, it's meant to be a "green" house. I don't think I'd want to live in a place like that...too cold for me with all that metal...but I can appreciate the architecture. It looks like it would be very inviting as a museum of modern art or a concert hall or even a library, but some people like living in places like that too. I like all the angles and windows.
Cyrus
Apr22-06, 10:18 PM
P: 4,780
Hah, yea right moonbear. That place looks like what its made out of, junk. That has no visual appeal to it. Why not go all the way and get an old car and make it look like its crashing through the wall, er I mean fuselage?
wolram
Apr22-06, 10:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,682
we have to make allowances for Moon B, she sees good in everything.
Moonbear
Apr22-06, 10:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
Hah, yea right moonbear. That place looks like what its made out of, junk. That has no visual appeal to it. Why not go all the way and get an old car and make it look like its crashing through the wall, er I mean fuselage?
Really? Did you look at the picture? Not the first one of the airplane...that's not the house...but at the end of the article, there's a drawing of what the house is planned to look like. It doesn't look at all like a pile of junk to me. The only thing missing is a view of the ocean from all those windows! (I got a chuckle that the FAA is requiring her to clearly mark all visible airplane parts so they aren't confused with a crashed plane from the sky....I wonder how that's to be done, and what it would do to the appearance?)
Cyrus
Apr22-06, 11:10 PM
Sorry moonbear,

What is so artistic about slapping a wing on as a roof? That look's like a poor deisgn. If its an airplane theme, make it look like a modern airport. Hopefully a strong wind will come by, create lots of lift, and rip that atrocious house off of its foundation and it will fly away, never to return again.
Astronuc
Apr22-06, 11:14 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Really? Did you look at the picture? Not the first one of the airplane...that's not the house...but at the end of the article, there's a drawing of what the house is planned to look like. It doesn't look at all like a pile of junk to me. The only thing missing is a view of the ocean from all those windows! (I got a chuckle that the FAA is requiring her to clearly mark all visible airplane parts so they aren't confused with a crashed plane from the sky....I wonder how that's to be done, and what it would do to the appearance?)
I am puzzled by that statment
she has been asked by the civil aviation authorities to mark the elements of the plane visible from the sky to show that they are not part of a crashed aircraft.
What is she supposed to do - write in big letters, "THIS IS NOT A CRASH".

On the positive side - The house will take in mountain, valley and sea views
Moonbear
Apr22-06, 11:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc
On the positive side - The house will take in mountain, valley and sea views
I only caught that on a second reading (when I was checking to make sure there wasn't more than one picture). That definitely is a plus...with all those windows, I would hope there's a spectacular view to enjoy.

Note to self: Don't let Woolie or Cyrus design a house for me...we obviously have very different ideas about aesthetics.
Cyrus
Apr22-06, 11:37 PM
Woolie and my house would just be a garage, filled with Ferrari’s and motorbikes, and pin up calendars.

Edit: Better make that a hangar, filled with airplanes, Ferrari's and motorbikes.

The sad part is, there is a guy at the local airpark who does have a hangar filled with airplanes (T-34 Mentor, twin seat jet-fighter/trainer, Classic piper supercub [cream and maroon], trojan), cars (brand new mercedes, ferrari, ferrari formula 1 car, alfa romeo) but no motorbikes
Moonbear
Apr22-06, 11:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
Woolie and my house would just be a garage, filled with Ferrari’s and motorbikes, and pin up calendars.
Yep, like I said, very different tastes.
Astronuc
Apr22-06, 11:41 PM
Admin
The house will be built on a hillside in Malibu - overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The architects rendering shows plenty of windows.
Cyrus
Apr22-06, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah, and he owns a P-51 mustang too!
Moonbear
Apr22-06, 11:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc
The house will be built on a hillside in Malibu - overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The architects redering shows plenty of windows.
Oh! Then those wings will probably come in handy for riding out the mudslides.

Register to reply