Tags: failing
Share this thread:
JasonRox
Apr24-06, 11:05 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
I never thought this day would happen.

I'm writing the exam in about an hour and I'm clearly going to fail. If I pass, it's clearly a miracle.

I don't deserve to pass either. I don't know anything literally. I worked on it over and over again, but the professor just flat out didn't teach. I'm going to learn the material again this summer regardless of passing or not.

Passing will merely just save me money and that's it. I'd still have to learn it all over again on my own. I have to take full responsibility for learning this stuff. I wasted 4 months on this class. The school literally ripped me off.

We are a very small class, and no one seems to understand it at all. Not even students who get better marks than I do, and I already have like a ~3.9 GPA.

I stopped stressing about it now, so I'm just going to go in and write the very little that I know.

Anyways, share your experiences on failing your first class or coming close to.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Cyrus
Apr24-06, 11:09 AM
P: 4,780
Welcome to the club my friend, welcome to the club. I failed criminal justice! because I COULD NOT STAND the teacher. I basically just stopped going to class and did not give damn. I got a big fat D-. I'm retaking it with a different professor. The difference is night and day. I have an, A now . So it will put my gpa back up where it belongs. But then again criminal justice is a BS class anyways, I could care less if I got a D- in CRIMINIAL JUSTICE!! I have an A in every class for my major, so screw you humanities. I guess it means I won't go to grad school now, and no one will hire me, I won't make millions and millions of bucks .............sike.
JasonRox
Apr24-06, 11:13 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
Welcome to the club my friend, welcome to the club. I failed criminal justice! because I COULD NOT STAND the teacher. I basically just stopped going to class and did not give damn. I got a big fat D-. I'm retaking it with a different professor. The difference is night and day. I have an, A now . So it will put my gpa back up where it belongs. But then again criminal justice is a BS class anyways, I could care less if I got a D- in CRIMINIAL JUSTICE!! I have an A in every class for my major, so screw you humanities. I guess it means I won't go to grad school now, and no one will hire me .............sike.
Well, I'm not taking the course over again if I get a D-. It's a major course so that's why I'm really not liking it.

For those hockey fans out there, he's like putting Wade Belak as captain and signing him for $10 million dollars. That's just absurd.

He clearly shouldn't be teaching.

He's not your average bad professor. I had some bad ones before, but they taught. They just taught differently. This one just didn't teach at all. HE DIDN'T EVEN GIVE US A COURSE OUTLINE!!!

Greg Bernhardt
Apr24-06, 11:14 AM
Admin
P: 9,329
Failing Your First Course

The closest I ever came to failing a course was actually my high school physics class. Every day we did group work, so obviously nothing ever got done and half the time we got permission to work outside the classroom. Which ment we roamed the halls and messed around. Anyway, I needed the class to graduate and it was a month before the semester ended. I talked to the teacher and by some miracle I was getting a "D" considering I failed every test. In the start of the semester he said you can get extra credit by doing a large project. So PF was born and I ended up getting a "C" in the course!!!
JasonRox
Apr24-06, 11:15 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt
The closest I ever came to failing a course was actually my high school physics class. Every day we did group work, so obviously nothing ever got done and half the time we got permission to work outside the classroom. Anyway, I needed the class to graduate and it was a month before the semester ended. I talked to the teacher and by some miracle I was getting a "D" considering I failed every test. In the start of the semester he said you can get extra credit by doing a large project. So PF was born and I ended up getting a "C" in the course!!!
Should have got an Alpha for PF! That's beyond A+!
Chi Meson
Apr24-06, 11:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
The closest I ever came to failing a course was actually my high school physics class. Every day we did group work, so obviously nothing ever got done
But calculations have shown that if you put a block of wood, a ramp, and a pad of sandpaper in front of a group of four high school students, they will figure out Newton's Laws of Motion and Gravitation by themselves in about 45 minutes!

So what was wrong with you?
franznietzsche
Apr24-06, 11:35 AM
P: 1,783
The closest I ever came to failing a course was actually my high school physics class. Every day we did group work, so obviously nothing ever got done and half the time we got permission to work outside the classroom. Which ment we roamed the halls and messed around. Anyway, I needed the class to graduate and it was a month before the semester ended. I talked to the teacher and by some miracle I was getting a "D" considering I failed every test. In the start of the semester he said you can get extra credit by doing a large project. So PF was born and I ended up getting a "C" in the course!!!

Slick.

Nice to know we're just a passing high school grade to you
JasonRox
Apr24-06, 11:36 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Chi Meson
But calculations have shown that if you put a block of wood, a ramp, and a pad of sandpaper in front of a group of four high school students, they will figure out Newton's Laws of Motion and Gravitation by themselves in about 45 minutes!

So what was wrong with you?
Are you sure?

Most high school kids would start chipping the wood, and then collect the bits. After that, roll it up in the sandpaper and smoke it.

That would take them approx. 7 hours though. They will be debating who should be the one to chip the wood for precisely 6 hours and 55 minutes.
dav2008
Apr24-06, 11:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 621
Great to know PF was founded by a physics failure
Greg Bernhardt
Apr24-06, 11:46 AM
Admin
P: 9,329
Quote Quote by dav2008
Great to know PF was founded by a physics failure
Should be a lesson to everyone! It's rarely what you know, but rather how badly you want something and the passion you have doing it I get hundreds of emails a week with people thinking I'm a top physicist. If they only knew I graduated college with a degree in communication.
Ivan Seeking
Apr24-06, 02:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
What!!! I thought that you are really old, like Integral.

Chi Meson
Apr24-06, 02:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Quote Quote by JasonRox
Are you sure?

Most high school kids would start chipping the wood, and then collect the bits. After that, roll it up in the sandpaper and smoke it.
That has been my experience too. Then they copy the work of the one guy in the class who understands what's going on.

Group work!
JasonRox
Apr24-06, 03:14 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Chi Meson
That has been my experience too. Then they copy the work of the one guy in the class who understands what's going on.

Group work!
Exactly!

Hey, I'd give my answers to the group. Watching them smoke random stuff would be pretty funny.

Believe it or not, we almost got two kids to smoke styrofoam in high school. Crazy kids.
JasonRox
Apr24-06, 03:18 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
By the way, I just finished the exam, and maybe I will pass after all.

We also had an assignment due today. Nobody did it. So, um... yeah no one knows what's going on.

If you're a professor and no one (I MEAN NO ONE) does the assignment, I think that's a (really) bad sign.
BobG
Apr24-06, 03:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
I failed my Math Analysis class in my senior year of high school - for one grading period, at least.

I only needed about three classes to meet the minimum number of credit hours to graduate, so that's all I took. I had a lot of study halls my senior year and went into coast mode.

Failing a math class was pretty embarrassing (math was always pretty easy for me) and would have been even more embarrassing if I had managed to fail an entire semester and been short of the credits I needed to graduate.
theCandyman
Apr24-06, 03:21 PM
P: 395
Quote Quote by Chi Meson

Group work!
Sounds familiar, me and our class valedictorian were the "come to" guys for the honors physics class. I would have ended up top in the class, but my lab partner dragged my grade down; maybe because she was a girl? (I am kidding, to all women who read that in earnest.)

My closest to failing class was Introduction to Electronics and Circuits. I had a graduate student the first half of the semester, he was very lazy and we always got out about 20 minutes early, sometimes even half an hour. He ended up getting a job halfway through the semester and we got a really awesome professor, the problem then was that he had to teach really fast to catch us up with his other class. I had not had differential equations at that time so I was struggling with all the math and could not manage to keep up. It really is a miracle I passed in the end, either that or a huge curve.

Edit: I actually have the exam for the lab for this class tonight.
Danger
Apr24-06, 03:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I'm not sure about failing a first course, but I never pass on dessert.
Gokul43201
Apr24-06, 03:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by Chi Meson
Group work!
I've heard of students getting bad grades "because they don't work well in groups" (ie : don't wish to waste their time helping folks that are only interested in leaching off them). And this is in a physics class, for crying out loud !

Register to reply