by Rusho
Tags: domain, x26x
Share this thread:
Rusho
Apr29-06, 11:56 PM
P: 24
Here is the problem again
x^2-6x+9 / x^2

I think the answer is "all real numbers", but I don't know. I'm not used to seeing only x^2. Most of the ones I have done are x^2 - 4 or something like that.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Guidelines for enhancing solar cells using surface plasmon polaritons
Trees and shrubs invading critical grasslands, diminish cattle production
Climate change will threaten fish by drying out Southwest US streams, research predicts
Curious3141
Apr30-06, 12:12 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,948
The question as it is written makes little sense. The domain has to be defined in the first place for a function to mean anything. So the domain can be a subset of the reals, or complex numbers, or even integers. Given a particular domain, it is a perfectly valid question to determine the range of the function.

But there is one real value for x where the function ceases to be well-defined, and I think the question is asking you to find this. What happens when x = 0 ?
HallsofIvy
Apr30-06, 10:33 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,488
As Curious3141 said, strictly speaking, the domain has to be "given" along with the formula describing a function. A lot of the time, however, it is understood that the domain is "all values of x for which the formula gives a valid result". One of the first things you should have learned about "domain" is "you can't divide by 0". Thus Curious3141's question "what happens when x= 0?"

Rusho
Apr30-06, 03:56 PM
P: 24
Domain of x^2-6x+9 / x^2

Undefined!
HallsofIvy
Apr30-06, 06:07 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,488
And therefore, the domain of (x^2-6x+9 )/ x^2 is?
eigenglue
Apr30-06, 06:18 PM
P: 25
Any value of x for which you can evaluate the term.
Curious3141
Apr30-06, 07:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,948
A nice way of representing the domain is R\{0} which means all the reals except zero. Another way is to state the domain is [tex](-\infty,0) \cup (0,\infty)[/tex] because the open interval excludes the point at zero.

If you're working in a system other than the reals, amend accordingly.

Register to reply