Register to reply

Can Heat Alone Cause Rust?

by seedslingers
Tags: heat, rust
Share this thread:
seedslingers
May1-06, 05:03 PM
P: 1
I have a laptop which has never been exposed to water or liquids.
But somehow I have rust where my processor's fan blows out the extremley hot air prior to over heating.

Does any know why there would be rust. Does it have to be from a moisture.
Can it be from over heating of materials causing element break down.

Thanks for your replys
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers use 3D printers to create custom medical implants
For secure software: X-rays instead of passport control
Razor-sharp TV pictures
mb87
May1-06, 10:52 PM
P: 1
No, but heat and air can. Rust forms from a redox reaction when Iron specifically is oxidized to form a Iron Oxide. Remember, that with heat alone, Iron in its metal state cant donate electrons to anything. Oxygen must be present. Copper does something similar in which "red" copper corrodes or oxidizes to form a green copper oxide crust. BTW- heat simply speeds the reaction up.
Astronuc
May2-06, 06:40 AM
Admin
P: 21,866
But somehow I have rust where my processor's fan blows out the extremley hot air prior to over heating.
What is overheating, the fan or the processor. If it's the processor, then it's time to get an new one or a new fan. Is it an AMD processor.

Moisture would cause Fe alloys to corrode, particular standard carbon steels as opposed to stainless steels.

Dissimilar metals in contact with each other or common electrolyte (water with ions) may produce galvanic corrosion in the metal, which is anodic (anode). The anode corrodes faster than it would if isolated.

Are you sure that it is 'rust' or something that looks like rust?

Gokul43201
May2-06, 01:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Can Heat Alone Cause Rust?

seed : there's always enough moisture in the air to rust steel slowly. The heat only speeds up the reaction. Another (much smaller) factor that can affect the corrosion rate is vibrations from the fan itself. Is your fan noisy ? Is the rust forming on the inside of the case or somewhere else ?
DaveC426913
May2-06, 03:22 PM
P: 15,319
I'm with Astronuc. You should first determine if it is rust.

Register to reply