Fluid Mechanics - Draining sphere - I need Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spherical tank filled with water and a drain hole at the bottom. The flow is quasi steady and inviscid and the goal is to find a function for the height of the water with respect to time. The conversation also mentions the need to write down the volume of water in terms of the height and equate the rate of change of volume to the outflow. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the equation dV/dt = 0 - A.v(t) and integrate to find h(t).
bige1027
Fluid Mechanics - Draining sphere - I need Help!

I just found this forum and it seems like a wealth of knowledge; wish I had found it sooner. Looking for some help and if anyone can, it will be appreciated more than you'll ever know.

Here's the problem:

A spherical tank of diameter D is filled with water. It has a small vent at the top to allow for atmospheric pressure within the tank. The water drains from a small drain hole at the bottom (dia=1 inch). The flow is quasi steady and inviscid. Find a function for the height of the water w.r.t. time, h(t), where 'h' is the height of the water measured from the bottom of the sphere.
Use the function to determine the water depth for D=1, 10, and 50 ft.

This is what I have:
It's a "free jet" probelm, so the water draining at the bottom leaves with a velocity of V=sqrt(2*g*h) - derived from the Bernoulli eq. with points at the top of bottom of the sphere.

The flowrate out is Q=AV=[(pi/4)*(1/12)^2]*[sqrt(2*g*h)]

Volume sphere = 4/3 *pi*R3

Here I've been stuck for a long time. Does anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, you're on track.

What you need to do next is be able to write down the volume of water in terms of the height.

Look at eqn (6) here and make the appropriate changes (if necessary).

Then you find the rate of chage of volume in terms of the rate of change of height and equate that to the outflow.

fluid mech-draining tank

i kind of have the same problem, only i am dealing with a tank, with a hole at the bottom and the water surface having a pressure of 1 atm. the question is, how long will it take for the water to drain? i have assumed that the velocity of water coming out of the small hole is>>> than the velocity of the water surface so that the latter is approx=0.
i know the rate of water drainage changes according to the pressure and height of the water level inside. i just don't know hot po put this concept in equation. any help would really be appreciated!

What you need is:

Accumulation = in - out + reaction

Is there accumulation? Yes.
Is there in? No.
Is there out? Yes.
Is there reaction? No.

You should get something like: dV/dt = 0 - A.v(t)
Just calculate V(h) and you know v(t) = sqrt(2gh(t))
So you have a diff equation with variable h(t), you integrate and you have h(t).

Then you fill in h = 0 and there it is!

Last edited:

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids, including gases and liquids, and the forces that act on them. It involves understanding how fluids behave at rest and in motion, and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What is a draining sphere?

A draining sphere is a spherical object filled with fluid that is left to drain through a small hole at the bottom. This setup is commonly used in fluid mechanics experiments to study the behavior of fluids under different conditions, such as varying viscosity or surface tension.

3. How does a draining sphere experiment work?

In a draining sphere experiment, the sphere is filled with a known amount of fluid and then left to drain through a small hole at the bottom. The time it takes for the sphere to completely drain is recorded, and this data is used to calculate the fluid's viscosity, surface tension, and other properties.

4. What factors affect the draining rate of a sphere?

The draining rate of a sphere is affected by various factors, such as the fluid's viscosity, the size of the hole, and the height of the fluid column. Other factors that can influence the draining rate include the shape and size of the sphere, the surface tension of the fluid, and the temperature of the fluid.

5. How can I calculate the draining rate of a sphere?

The draining rate of a sphere can be calculated using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the fluid's viscosity, the size of the hole, and the height of the fluid column. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of mass, which states that the volume of fluid entering the hole must be equal to the volume of fluid exiting the hole.