Register to reply

How to tell whether a function is positive or negative?

by behappy
Tags: function, negative, positive
Share this thread:
behappy
May10-06, 07:59 AM
P: 10
Hello everbody

I have functions of two variables and I need to determine if they are positive or negative. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what the best way to do that is?

Thanks a lot in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Hootenanny
May10-06, 09:03 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
What are these functions?

~H
behappy
May10-06, 10:49 AM
f(x,y)=x^2 + sin(y) - x y - 4y^3

matt grime
May10-06, 10:52 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
How to tell whether a function is positive or negative?

That function is neither positive nor negative. Perhaps you mean 'where is it positive and where is it negative?'
behappy
May10-06, 02:27 PM
Quote Quote by matt grime
That function is neither positive nor negative. Perhaps you mean 'where is it positive and where is it negative?'
So, can you tell me please how you found out that it is neither positive nor negative. When I have a function of two variables, I just need to determine whether it is postive or negative.
Muzza
May10-06, 02:33 PM
P: 695
So, can you tell me please how you found out that it is neither positive nor negative.
Find a point at which the function is positive, and then find another point where it is negative.
behappy
May10-06, 02:38 PM
Quote Quote by Muzza
Find a point at which the function is positive, and then find another point where it is negative.
And how can I do that?
matt grime
May10-06, 02:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
By looking at it and thinking. After all you have complete freedom here to let x or y be absolutely anything.
behappy
May10-06, 02:42 PM
You mean I just need to put random numbers into the equation for both x and y. But that would only work if the function is neither positive nor negative.
FrogPad
May10-06, 03:20 PM
P: 837
It might take you awhile if you just chose a bunch of random numbers. What conditions make f(x,y) positive and what makes it negative?
behappy
May10-06, 03:26 PM
Quote Quote by FrogPad
It might take you awhile if you just chose a bunch of random numbers. What conditions make f(x,y) positive and what makes it negative?
What do you mean by conditions here?
matt grime
May10-06, 04:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by behappy
You mean I just need to put random numbers into the equation for both x and y. But that would only work if the function is neither positive nor negative.
No, I don't mean that. I mean look at it and see that ignoring x it behaves like -y^3 and ignoring y it behaves like x^2 so picking numbers carefully it is easy to show as a function it is neither positive nor negative.
behappy
May10-06, 04:38 PM
No, I don't mean that. I mean look at it and see that ignoring x it behaves like -y^3 and ignoring y it behaves like x^2 so picking numbers carefully it is easy to show as a function it is neither positive nor negative.
Right, picking numbers is an easy way to show if a function is neither positive nor negative. But what about the other cases like when the fucntion is always positive
matt grime
May10-06, 05:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
You do it by 'doing it', there is no universal method. Look at the function. Is it possible to make it negative? Is it possible to make it positive? Fix x, or y, whatever is needed. For a given x what is the minimal value as a function of y? what is the maximal value, etc.
J77
May11-06, 03:03 AM
P: 1,157
You could plot the function; see below.

Looks to be negative for x>0, for all y.

I think you'll have to look at which terms dominate for, eg. x>0 y>0, x>0 y<0 etc... (and remember that sin takes values between -1 and 1)

It looks like the -4y^3 is dominating... (the sin(y) term just superimposes a small oscillation on this curve)
Attached Thumbnails
surface1.jpg  
behappy
May11-06, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I could not open the attached file. And the graph would be a surface, so I can not tell anything from this.

Quote Quote by J77
You could plot the function; see below.

Looks to be negative for x>0, for all y.

I think you'll have to look at which terms dominate for, eg. x>0 y>0, x>0 y<0 etc... (and remember that sin takes values between -1 and 1)

It looks like the -4y^3 is dominating... (the sin(y) term just superimposes a small oscillation on this curve)
behappy
May11-06, 06:29 PM
You do it by 'doing it', there is no universal method. Look at the function. Is it possible to make it negative? Is it possible to make it positive? Fix x, or y, whatever is needed. For a given x what is the minimal value as a function of y? what is the maximal value, etc.

I have put three different values for x (-20,0,20), so I got a function of y. After that I plotted the new function and the graph shows that it is positive and negative. After that, I put the same values in the original function but now for y and I plotted the new fucntion for x, and that shows that the function is always positive. So, can I now say the function is neither positive nor negative?
Nimz
May11-06, 08:45 PM
P: 81
Quote Quote by behappy
I have put three different values for x (-20,0,20), so I got a function of y. After that I plotted the new function and the graph shows that it is positive and negative. After that, I put the same values in the original function but now for y and I plotted the new fucntion for x, and that shows that the function is always positive. So, can I now say the function is neither positive nor negative?
If you get both positive and negative values for the function from various choices of the variables, the function is neither positive (i.e. nowhere negative) nor negative (i.e. nowhere positive). There are regions where it is positive, and regions where it is negative. Since plugging in points only can only demonstrate whether a fuction is neither positive nor negative, here's one way you can see if the function is positive or negative:

Look for discontinuities in the function, and zeros of the function. If there are none, test a point, and the sign of the function at that point will be the sign of the function everywhere. If there are discontinuities or zeros, they will form the boundary between regions. Test each of the regions, and if each test point has the same sign, that is the sign of the function.

Something else you can do is take the absolute value of the function. If |f| = f over the entire domain, then f is positive. If |f| = -f over the entire domain, then f is negative. Otherwise, it's neither.

Register to reply