X^(n-1) = 0, what does x equal ?

• Thread starter meee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of zero divisors and integral domains in the context of real numbers. It is mentioned that in the reals, ab=0 if and only if one of a or b is zero, and this has implications for factoring polynomials. There is a brief mention of principal ideal domains and integral domains, and a question about whether they are required to be commutative.
meee
tnx

tnxtnxtnxtnx

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the reals ab=0 if and only if one of a or b is zero.

but its a^b = 0
soz, n is a natural number

matt wouldn't have said that unless it applied to your problem.

is there any way of writing your problem in the form a.b=0?

not that i know of? pls explian

Last edited:
What does x^m mean? (For m a natural number)

x*x m times

x^2 = xx
x^3 = xxx
x^m = x...?

So you do know how to make a power of x into a product of two (or more) numbers, all of which are x. Now, apply the first thing I posted.

x^(n-1) = 0

x*x*x*x = 0?

If you multiply any collection of (real) numbers together and get zero one of them must be zero, that is an underlying and very important fact about them, it is how you factor polynomials, remember?

oh yeah... thanks :)

There are actually two answers to your question. For some values of n,
x= ___ . For other values of n, there is no such x.

matt grime said:
In the reals ab=0 if and only if one of a or b is zero.
Somewhat unrelated, but that's because the Reals are a principle ideal domain isn't it? I'm vaguely trying to remember my 'Groups, Rings and Modules' course from 2 years ago.

No. A principal ideal is one in which any ideal is generated by a single element. The reals, being a field, only have trivial ideals anyway (ie 0 and R). This has nothing to do with zero divisors. You're thinking of an integral domain. There are non principle ideal domains that are integral (eg Z[x,y]: the ideal (x,y) is not principle), and there are principal ideal domains that are not integral like Z/4Z.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that there are no zero divisors in R comes first, therefore it implies they are an integral domain, rather than they are an integral domain therefore there are no zero divisors. Small point, and wholly semantic.

Last edited:
Now I'm having second thoughts. A PID has no zero divisors because it is required to be an integral domain as well. Domain being, apparently, synonymous with integral domain, though that isn't necessarily universal: are domains presumed commutative?

In my algebra class we assumed domains to be commutative. But we didn't assume rings to have unity. Strange, in my opinion.

1. What is the value of x in the equation X^(n-1) = 0?

The value of x in this equation cannot be determined without knowing the value of n. The variable x can be any value as long as n is equal to 1. If n is any other value, the equation will not be true.

2. Can the equation X^(n-1) = 0 have multiple solutions for x?

No, this equation can only have one solution for x. Since any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, the only solution for x is 0.

3. Is X^(n-1) = 0 considered a polynomial equation?

Yes, this equation can be classified as a polynomial equation. A polynomial equation is any equation that contains variables raised to whole number exponents.

4. What is the significance of the exponent (n-1) in the equation X^(n-1) = 0?

The exponent (n-1) indicates the degree of the polynomial equation. In this case, the degree is n-1, which means that the highest power of x in the equation is n-1.

5. How does the value of n affect the solution for x in the equation X^(n-1) = 0?

The value of n determines the number of solutions for x in the equation. If n is equal to 1, there is only one solution (x = 0). However, if n is equal to any other value, there will be no solutions for x that make the equation true.