Need help combining rotation and translation

In summary, the two propellers attached to opposite sides of the submersible rotate at different velocities, resulting in an unbalanced torque about the center of mass. You can represent the force on the sub (from the props) in terms of a net force acting through the CoM and a net torque about the CoM. The net force causes a linear acceleration, and the net torque results in a rotation (more accurately, an angular acceleration). As the linear and angular velocities increase, so does the viscous drag force (and torque) from the water.
SkitSystem
Hello, I'm trying to build a submersible, however for some reason the two propellers attached to opposite sides of the submersible, rotate at different velocities. I figure i might be able to use accelerometer data to help it go straight. My problem is trying to describe the curving almost spiraling motion mathematically. This is my first year of physics, and all i know is about rolling motion but i'll keep trying to derive a formula based on rolling logic, if no one can help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a large enough tank with still water, your submersible (unless it is a perfect sphere) will execute circular motion in the steady state (after executing a number of outward spirals).

The difference in propeller RPMs results in different forces acting on the submersible at the positions of the two propellers. This results in an unbalanced torque about the center of mass.

You can represent the force on the sub (from the props) in terms of a net force acting through the CoM and a net torque about the CoM. The net force causes a linear acceleration, and the net torque results in a rotation (more accurately, an angular acceleration). As the linear and angular velocities increase, so does the viscous drag force (and torque) from the water.

In the steady state, the linear viscous drag equals the provided force, and the net force on the CoM is zero. The submersible will hence have a terminal speed determined by the linear drag coefficient (C1). Also the rotational drag will equal the supplied torque about the CoM and the angular velocity will hence remain constant thereafter, and its value will depend on coefficient of rotational drag (C2). At any point of time, (before or after the steady state is reached), the ratio of linear to angular velocities will give you the radius of curvature.

If you want your submersible to go straight, you must either change the speed of one of your two props or adjust its position a little bit. Incidentally, how are your props driven ? Are they not both running off the same motor ?

Last edited:
I think I've become a bit more confused. Drag requires that i know the force of the propellors, however I'm not sure if i can attain that value. Also when your talking about viscous drag your referring to F=-bv right? Also as i said before i have an accelorometer, and we are currently trying to build a velocity meter using Bernoulli's equation, however I'm not at all sure how i can obtain angular velocity.

Also i know this is very simplistic but i have tried to derive an answer using what little physics i have mastered. I figured after a while that at the terminal velocity the sub will move in a perfect circle. However i believe we might be able to get this value using r=v^2/radial acceleration. Am i wrong in thinking this? also could i use the accelerometer on the same axis of the propellors to measure this radial acceleration? Or would that be another value entirely?

1. How can I combine rotation and translation in my experiment?

To combine rotation and translation, you can use a mathematical tool called the transformation matrix. This matrix allows you to represent both rotation and translation in a single equation, which can then be applied to your data points to combine the two motions.

2. Can I combine rotation and translation using simple equations?

Yes, it is possible to combine rotation and translation using simple equations. You can use the equations for rotation and translation separately and then combine them by adding or multiplying them together to create a single equation that represents both motions.

3. Is there a specific order in which rotation and translation should be combined?

Yes, the order in which rotation and translation are combined is important. This is because rotation and translation do not commute, meaning that the result of combining them in one order may be different from the result of combining them in a different order. Generally, rotation is applied first and then translation is applied.

4. Can I use software to combine rotation and translation?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can help you combine rotation and translation. These programs use algorithms and mathematical tools to accurately combine the two motions, making it easier for you to analyze your data and results.

5. Are there any special considerations when combining rotation and translation in a 3D space?

Yes, when combining rotation and translation in a 3D space, you need to consider the order in which the rotations are applied. This is because rotations in 3D space can occur around different axes, and the order of these rotations can affect the final result. It is important to follow a specific order, such as the ZYX convention, to ensure accurate and consistent results.