by MathematicalPhysicist
Tags: minimal, polynomial
Share this thread:
MathematicalPhysicist
May29-06, 05:16 AM
P: 3,243
f(t)=t^n+a_n-1t^(n-1)+...+a1t+a0
there's a square matrix of order n, A:
[tex]\bordermatrix{ & & & & \cr 0 & 0 & ... & 0& -a_0 \cr 1 &0 & ... & 0 & -a_1 \cr ... & ... & ... & ... & ... \cr 0 & 0 & ... & 1 & -a_{n-1}\cr}[/tex]

show that f(t) is the minimal polynomial of A.

i know that f(t) is m.p when f(A)=0, or perhaps all that i should prove here, is that f(t) divides the charectraistic polynomial of A?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
HallsofIvy
May29-06, 05:28 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,693
No, it is not sufficient to prove that f(t) divides the characteristic polynomial. What the minimal polynomial must divide the characteristic polynomial, it is not the only polynomial to do so. For example, if the characteristic polynomial is (t-1)(t-2), both t-1 and t-2 divide the characteristic polynomial but neither is the minimal polynomial ((t-1)(t-2) itself is). To prove a given polynomial is the minimal polynomial you must show that it satisfies the definition of minimal polynomial: that it is the monic polynomial of lowest degree satisfied by A. (which is not the same as "f(t) is m.p. when f(A)= 0"- again, there are many polynomials satisfying that.)
MathematicalPhysicist
May29-06, 05:40 AM
then, in order to prove that, i should calculate f(A).

i know that m.p is the polynomial which is highest degree has a coefficient of 1.
so what i need to do, is to find the charectaristic plynomial of A, and then divide the options for the minimal polynomial from c.p.
the answer should be f(t), right?

matt grime
May29-06, 05:54 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
A question on minimal polynomial (LA)

Am I alone in not seeing exactly what that matrix looks like? It ought to have the a_i in the last column, but what about the singleton 1 that appears in the second row. Should there not be more 1's than that? All on the diagonal immediately below the main diagonal, perhaps?

I have no idea what 'divide the options' means.

f(t) is the characteristic poly by the way: if it is the minimal it divides the char poly, but the char poly is a degree n monic poly, so they must be the same.
MathematicalPhysicist
May29-06, 06:00 AM
i mean you have for example the c.p like this: (t-k)^n then the option to m.p are (t-k)^n, (t-k)^(n-1), etc.
MathematicalPhysicist
May29-06, 06:22 AM
ok, understand it now, thanks.

Register to reply